Replacement for yellow Kangaroo Paw

JoonBOctober 10, 2011

My front yard (west facing) has a theme of westringia fruticosa, morning lights, pitt crass, hebe veronica, marjorie channon, lots of aenoniums and 2 large redbud trees. I love it. However, in the center between our two trees, we have yellow kangaroo paw. It just doesn't seem to take- i don't know if it's too much or too little water. I would love to hear suggestions that might go with the plant palette that I have mentioned. I believe it's more NZ/Australian natives. I don't want anything tropical. Is there any plant that can be somewhat of a showcase and be yellow/squash colored?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Here are a few ideas:

Artic Mullein (verbascum)

Moraea bicolor

Tall bearded iris reblooming varieties, Forever Gold, Bayberry Candle, Harvest of Memories

Spuria iris (wonderful bronzes, golds, etc. but they get tall)

Daylilies

I love the color of yellow kangaroo paws, especially when they are backlit. My mom's didn't do well this year either, so maybe it was just a bad year for them. I have never been able to keep the yellow ones healthy, though.
Good luck.
Renee

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 11:27PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Anigozanthus 'Harmony' may be an easier yellow flowered form to try, as with all of them, they can be difficult to establish in hot weather as the roots can dry out too quickly before they get rooted in. A month into the winter rains is usually a great time to get them established, avoid under and overwatering. Other yellows to consider in the same vein of taller yellow flowers might include Achillea 'Coronation Gold' or Bulbine frutescens, or one of the yellow flowering forms of Alstroemeria.

Bookmark   October 12, 2011 at 2:04PM
JoonB

Thanks very much for your suggestions. We did plant the kangaroo paw in early July. Right now they look incredibly sad looking :(

Bookmark   October 14, 2011 at 11:55AM
More Discussions
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Lattice grid pavers and what to plant
Using these to make a walkway in the alley that connects...
oberci
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Veggie season?
what are you all planting in the veggie garden lately?...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™