This morning in S. Arizona

jpaz(9b)January 7, 2014

Improved Meyer lemons freshly picked this morning from a planted-in-the-ground tree.

I am a long time cactus grower that is only now adventuring into cultivating citrus. Actually, like many locals here I have had several citrus trees (orange, grapefruit, lemons) that were planted as part of the original landscaping for the house - they received no special horticultural treatment -- no fertilizing, pruining.or soil amendments. That will change now -- I hope to learn how to grow them correctly from members of this Forum.

This morning weather at 10:00am was -- cloudless.sky, 65 deg. -- this time of the year we experience occasional cold fronts that drop the nighttime temps to freezing or below -- coldest I remember was last Feb when it got down to 17 deg -- no bad damage to trees (just some temporary leaf curl) or fruit though.

JP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Lovely photos, JP. It is so nice to live in "citrus country", eh? Hopefully we can dodge frigid temps this winter. We are so very fortunate that this terrible "polar vortex" is not touching us.

Patty S.

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 4:54PM
jpaz(9b)

Ah yes, Patty, we are indeed fortunate. I feel for the people who are enduring the atrocious freezing weather spell up North. I was born and grew up in that kind of climate - I am afraid my eighty-four year old bones would have a hard time adjusting to such weather now (the same for my darling wife)! So I do count my blessings and enjoy every day of warm Arizona sunshine.

JP

This post was edited by jpaz on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 19:45

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 6:05PM
krismast(6 S.E. PA)

Oh how I wish I could have this in my backyard! Well maybe someday. Our windchill here was about -20 this morning. I hope someday to move to citrus country! beautiful pictures, enjoy the lemons!

Kris

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 6:45PM
jpaz(9b)

Kris, you wrote:

".......... Oh how I wish I could have this in my backyard! Well maybe someday .........."

I used to express similar wishes -- maybe it will happen for you too. Thank you for your kind comments, Kris.

JP

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 7:51PM
tantanman(z9Tx)

Welcome to the wonderful world of citrus growing.

Larry

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 12:13AM
More Discussions
Strange happenings with lemon tree
Hi, This is my first post, upon finding your site. I...
alamedadad
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™