what type of trees or fruit trees grow in north louisiana

luckydogg83January 24, 2007

do citrus or fruit trees grow in deville or what forest tree grows in deville. and do they withstand cold and wet lands good.

later steve hebert

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Citrus, not outside. But you could grow nearly every other kind of non-tropical fruit tree.

Bookmark   January 25, 2007 at 9:13AM
hitec

Hey Steve, There are a lot of people more knowledgeable than me but I'll try to help. I looked up your location and you are in USDA zone 8b which is good for cold hardy citrus. It really depends how much time you want to put into cold protection. I am in South Alabama in 8A and have Satsumas, Changsha, Meyer Lemon, Kumquats, Sanbokan Sweet Lemons, and a Limequat in the ground. This winter my lowest temperature so far was 19 last month. I protect the Satsumas, Lemons and Limequats by sprinklers. The Changshas do well on their on when they get some size on them. Check out some pictures at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jbwindham/Dec2006Freeze

As far as wet ground goes there you have a problem. Citrus do not like wet ground. They get foot rot. All is not lost though. I'll bet the LSU Ag Center or your local extension agent can tell you the best rootstock for damp soils.
http://www.lsuagcenter.com/
Good luck with the citrus.

Jack

Bookmark   January 25, 2007 at 3:21PM
    Bookmark   January 25, 2007 at 10:32PM
dannyboquet(z9 So Louisiana)

Unless your ground is swamp, you can deal with the wet foot problem by planting on rows or hills. My dad had a small (approx 60 trees, mostly Satsuma) citrus grove south of Montegut. He made rows about 25 ft apart with an elevation of about 1 ft peak to valley. All valleys led to drainage ditches. It worked wonderfully.

As far as cold hardy, even Satsumas will need cold protection below 26 deg F (especially on a clear night).

Bookmark   January 26, 2007 at 9:03AM
thaprinceofbuffalo

i like that ice trick that u did with your citrus, i have never seen it used in a way to protect the plant from winter damage, even tho this is proly a dumb question i figured i might as well ask, do u think it would work with a meyer tree, in buffalo(upstate NY)?

Bookmark   January 28, 2007 at 9:38PM
hitec

I have my doubts on it working in NY. The upper teens are about the coldest it usually gets here. 14 degrees is the coldest the Satsumas have been exposed to and that was 4 years ago. The coating of ice will insulate the tree just enough to prevent damage. I would imagine this is only a few degrees of protection at the most. The trick to it is to keep the water application rate up high enough. The only drawback to this method is sometimes I get a broken branch or two from the weight of the ice.

Bookmark   January 29, 2007 at 6:57PM
frank_zone5.5

thatprince,

I have kept a calamondian alive all winter, it looks better than most of my indoor citrus (not that that is good!)..... I think it can be done with around 100 watts of electricity......and some work

the coldest mine has gotten is 41f, when it was -6 f outside
let me know if you want more info

Bookmark   January 30, 2007 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
My lemon tree needs help!
Hello, I recently got a new house with some citrus...
Roderick Agius
Got a couple citrus and don't know what to do
So, I got a lemon tree and a lime tree as housewarming...
beesneeds
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
My poor Lemon Tree!
So, I got up this morning after only about 3 inches...
cygnwulf
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™