Question about moss again.

hero81November 19, 2007

If moss looking like tiny Christmas Trees sprout, is that bad?

Most all of my pots of Venus Fly Traps have that stuff everywhere. It looks like the VFT is surrounded by grass.

It looks nice, but I need to know if it's all THAT dangerous. Or if it's even a threat.

Thanks

-Hero 81

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hunterkiller03(9)

Why don't you post a picture? If it grass, it depends what type. One thing is the "grass" very small single flat leaf blades? Or it looks like regualar grass?
Now if the moss looks like christmas tree, it could be sphagnum moss. Try posting a picture to get an idea what you have. Nobody can know for sure until they can see what you have.

Bookmark   November 20, 2007 at 12:14AM
don555(3a)

If I remember, I'll try to post a pic of the "good" moss vs the "bad" moss tomorrow. I must say though, I don't know why the "bad" moss is condsidered bad, apart from the fact that it isn't the "good" moss.

Bookmark   November 20, 2007 at 5:50AM
don555(3a)

Okay, here's a picture of good moss versus evil moss. Ignore the brown dead stems in the photo - they are from a Nepenthes that was cut back. The good live moss is the pale green to light brown sphagnum moss on the left half of the photo. It isn't always this color, I have some with my pitcher plants that is bright green, and some with my sundews that is quite reddish.

The evil moss is the stuff on the right side of the photo. It is darker green and it is much finer and more upright than sphagnum. It also has little brown fruiting bodies that grow above it on stems about the thickness of hair. You can see three of them on the right half of the photo.

I'm not sure why the bad moss is considered bad, except that it certainly doesn't make a nice rooting medium like sphagnum moss.
-Don

Bookmark   November 20, 2007 at 6:54PM
hero81

Well It is still extremely small (barely sprouting). It's green, but then again it's just sprouting.

My apologies that I cannot post a picture. My camera's focusing engine is broken, so even if the picture was slightly blurry, You wouldn't identify the moss still.

It's not fine so I'm assuming that it's alright...

Bookmark   November 21, 2007 at 3:20AM
hunterkiller03(9)

That's regular moss, if it hasn't harm your plants. Then its okay. Its "good" moss.

Bad moss are the ones that can harm your plants, some release chemicals that can kill CP. You gotta be careful if your plant begans to show signs off stress when surrounded by moss. But that's rare and most moss doesn't harm your plants and simply add color to the plant.

Bookmark   November 21, 2007 at 9:09AM
scrappycoco

hi please can you just tell me is this safe moss or evil moss thank you so much

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 3:06AM
More Discussions
Artificial lighting for Sarracenia?
I lived in Zone 10 (San Francisco) and moved from a...
rms9004
WANTED: wanted pitcher plant
Hi all Im looking for pitcher plants or cuttings for...
renagirl-2008
Blooming seedling
Hello all - Here is a picture of Venus Flytrap seedlings...
jebfarm
Can dead sphagnum turn into live sphagnum?
I'm noticing some green patches in my LFS. Is it live...
outsiders71
Pitcher Plant for a Beginner...
I'm new to carnivorous plants and was interested in...
iheartroscoe
Sponsored Products
MTI Seville 1 Tub Large (70.5" x 41.5" x 19.375")
Modern Bathroom
Artificial Grass: RealGrass by Real Grass Lawns Flooring Deluxe Artificial
$3.94 | Home Depot
Bath Authority DreamLine Visions Frameless Sliding Shower Door and SlimLine Sing
Modern Bathroom
AICO Furniture - Lavelle Oval Back Wood Chair - 54834-TOPAZ-04
Great Furniture Deal
Tolix Marais A Chair
Design Within Reach
Cherner Side Chair
Design Within Reach
Americh Vivo 7240 Tub (72" x 40" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
AICO Furniture - Beverly Blvd Dresser - 06050-93
Great Furniture Deal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™