nep question

fly_traperNovember 18, 2006

srry i have been offline for so long, my inter net is down

(i am using a relitives)

anyway, i was reading the savage garden (great book)and i thought of something. as a nepenthes grows along it's climbing stem will it still make lower pitchers when it gets high up, or will those no longer exist?

:-) chears, :-)

:-) chris :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jindegales

Welcome again Chris.
Well the answer to your question is no. Once a plant starts producing higher pichers, that stem will never produce lower ones. Because each type of picher is adapted to capture certain types of prey. The upper ones are more colourfull to atract flying insects, and the lower ones usually have some kind of brushes to help the crawling and non-flying animals to climb in. But the good thing is that you can have both types of pichers on the same plant. How? Well, later the plant will begin to put out some shoots, and while these give lower pichers, the mother stem will continue to produce higher ones. In some species that takes a lot of time to reach the climbing phase (like N. rajah) the higher pichers are rare. On others (like N. lowii and N. eymae which are by far my favourites) the upper pichers are very exotic and have nothing to do in shape with lower ones. This is another thing that makes Nepenthes species even more interesting... =)

Michael

Bookmark   November 21, 2006 at 2:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fly_traper

ok thanks for the info. i rely apreceate it

Bookmark   November 22, 2006 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Artificial lighting for Sarracenia?
I lived in Zone 10 (San Francisco) and moved from a...
rms9004
New to this. Did I kill it?
I have had a nephthenes/tropical pitcher for a few...
Deir
Pitcher Plant for a Beginner...
I'm new to carnivorous plants and was interested in...
iheartroscoe
Can dead sphagnum turn into live sphagnum?
I'm noticing some green patches in my LFS. Is it live...
outsiders71
Nepenthes for Beginner
I'm looking to start growing nepenthes. What I've researched...
mildew
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™