possible to plant jalepenos now?

brianlojeckOctober 26, 2013

I realize it's the wrong time to plant for a harvest, but since capsicums are perennials, can I plant now in order to have the plant be larger when summer comes? My yard gets sun pretty much all day, it never really gets cold in los Angeles... And if like to try my hands at growing something...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

It will get too cold for pepper seedlings in LA. You can overinter mature pepper plants in LA, but even then they lose most if not all of their leaves. If you want an early harvest, start them indoors in Feb..

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 12:40PM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

I think if you already have the peppers it will not hurt to try. But put something like a tomato cage over them so when it does get cold you can cover the plants.

FYI, my bell peppers are on their second season along with the jalapenos, hot banana peppers and false alarm peppers. We just cut off any frost damage-I think we covered them for most of the frosts last year. I am not pulling them up so we will see how they do next summer.

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 8:46PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Best results planting seeds next May. If you want to try growing something, fall is the time to plant lettuce, peas, spinach, broccoli.

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
Mango trees in SoCal?
Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree...
wetfeet101b
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
Potatoes from Van Bloem Gardens
Does anyone know what potatoes are in the Van Bloem...
pbsjones
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™