Bark Split and Single Digit Temperatures

arkberry(8b)January 18, 2014

This is a follow-up to an earlier post regarding signs of winter damage. One of the items I was told to look for was split bark at the base of the tree.

Is the picture below the split bark I need to be concerned with. The leaves are pretty well beat up. Stems are still pliable.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tantanman(z9Tx)

Arkberry:

I have a Page Mandarin hybrid on Citrange rootstock. It was damaged like that in the winter of 09/10, except the split was a lot longer. I thought it would have died by now but it has not. Maybe because it has not been wet enough to cause the crown to rot out.

This wound looks old enough to have bare wood already turning grey at ground level. The edges of the split appear calloused and healed. Am I interpreting the photo correctly?

When did it happen? What is the variety and rootstock?

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 7:35PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

That damage is much deeper than just split bark. As was already noted, the damage is also in the wood.

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 1:07AM
mes111(5b -Purling NY & 7b -Nassau County NY)

Arguments go both ways about using a sealer (like Morrison's Tree Seal) or letting the tree "heal" itself.

Trees don't really "heal" a wound; they just produce new growth separating the "infection-cut" from the rest of the tree, essentially "sealing out" the bad stuff. Your problem now is that it is cold and the trees are dormant so there is not much tree growth.

Some say that using a sealant just traps moisture next to the would which encourages fungus and bacteria etc.

So... after all that.... the way I see it is : Trees evolved over a long period when we were not around to fret over them. Maybe they figured out, without us, how to deal with these situations.

I would clear some of the mulch away from the bottom to let it air out and otherwise I would leave it alone and hope.

Mike

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 12:29PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Sealants don't help.

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 9:01PM
skinn30a(9a/8b)

If it were my tree, I'd go ahead and seal with a mixture of .5tsp Kocide in 6oz latex paint... I'd remove all that stuff from around the crown down to the dirt and apply over the entire area of the wound, overlapping the undamaged bark.

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Bugs 15
Ok. I've had enough of having to wait forever to get...
mikerno_1micha
New leaves - possible too much watering?
Hi! New member here. I haven't had a chance to go back...
springddd
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Help with Dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree
Hello, The bottom leaves on my dwarf lemon tree are...
arti_asharma
Need help with my Meyer lemon!
Hi everyone, new to this forum and to gardening in...
wanderess
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™