Anyone successfully growing citrus in South Florida?

savemejebusJanuary 8, 2014

Hi all,

We're in Broward County (zone 10) and have about 27 tropical trees on the yard, but no citrus. When we moved in a few years ago, there was a large orange tree that we ultimately had to take down, and we've since tried a clementine and pink lemon, though neither of them really did anything. We just moved the pink lemon to a large pot in hopes that might make a difference, but the whole experience has left me puzzled as to the viability of citrus down here.

I'd like to plant an orange tree (maybe cara cara), bu space is at a premium in the yard and our history with citrus has not been great. Tree would be going in a full-sun location different from where the others have failed, but still hesitant.

Anyone successfully growing citrus down here? Tips? Recommendations?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

google citrus grafters and find out what rootstock should be used in yor area and if they can send you to a merchant that handles that rootstock. Do you have salt there. shallow soil, clay. they can help you.

In my area only poncirus trifoliata and some crosses with can survive, so I can't help.

Also your county agent can help. With citrus greening you may not be able. your agent will know.

Best of luck to you

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
Wish me luck - transplanted a 6-7 year old Golden Nugget
Planted too close to a bearss, the lime was towering...
serge94501
Strange happenings with lemon tree
Hi, This is my first post, upon finding your site. I...
alamedadad
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
My lemon tree needs help!
Hello, I recently got a new house with some citrus...
Roderick Agius
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™