Blossom drop enigma

chefricky(6b)January 8, 2014

I have a improved meyer lemon tree that is 3+ yrs old. It is outdoors all spring and summer and wintered indoors with a south facing window.
Additionally, it is suplimented with a 4' 4 bulb t5 fixture that I have on a timer for an additional 6 hrs of light. Last Dec. 2012 I managed to harvest its first fruit. It was only 4 lemons but they were large and very tasty. Last winter, around the middle of Jan 2013, the tree was in a different location that did not have any natural sunlight and only the aformentioned light fixture over it. It started dropping leaves like crazy.
I moved it outdoors in the spring of 2013 and it grew very well while filling out new foliage and lots of new wood.
This past fall around the end on October I moved it indoors. It was showing lots of blossoms about to bloom when I did so. Since then, It bloomed at least a couple of hundred flowers. It was looking perfect and I hand polinated it with an artists brush. I was excited about seeing little lemons popping out. Now, all the flowers are falling off.
Other than that, The leaves are healthy, and I am keeping it fed with
Foliage Pro 9-3-6. And oh, it is in a 25 gal.container and it is 4.5 feet tall. Please give your opinions and sorry about the long post.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

You got the pot part right, but we need pictures to make any assessments.

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 8:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tantanman(z9Tx)

I think you have had the tree in too large a pot to give large amounts of fruit on a tree that small. Potted citrus yields a little better if somewhat crowded. Plant them in a large pot and get mostly vegetative growth. I probably would not transfer now, but keep that in mind.

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
Got a couple citrus and don't know what to do
So, I got a lemon tree and a lime tree as housewarming...
beesneeds
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
Should Moro Blood Orange be ripe yet in Zone 9b Southern CA?
We purchased 2 Moro Blood Oranges last spring and they...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
what kind of lemon orange mix is this?
the inside is not like a lemon. it can be peeled easily...
preppystud
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™