Save my beautiful lemon tree!

just_lookingJanuary 6, 2008

Hi there everyone, I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

I'm worried that my pretty lemon tree is dying. I have had it for over a year after it was given as a present to my mum from my other half, and thought I did a good job keeping it in great condition. Its about a foot and a half tall and the variety is a Four Seasons Lemon, and its currently living in London, UK.

The first winter and summer went by quite well, with it sitting on a south-facing window sill. I gave it feed ever so often and the plant seemed brilliantly healthy, giving one or two fruits and lots of bloom. It grew rapidly in the summer, and I cut back a very unbalanced long shoot. I also repotted it into a large ornate ceramic pot, using citrus compost. (I've read about 'drainage', but haven't fully understood whether its essential - my new pot has no holes at the bottom). It received a lot of good light in the summer, but towards the end, it started to drop its leaves and all the small fruit that had started to set.

Since then, as its too big for the window sill, I moved it to a table on the other side of the house, which has only some light, and is about 2 metres away from a radiator. My research has found that changes in environment means that the plant can drop its leaves, so I didn't panic. But at this stage, every leaf has dropped off the plant and all the tips of the branches are starting to brown. I'm worried that its something serious. There is one lemon left on it, about the size of a large lime. I water it only when it becomes quite dry, and the leaves haven't shown signs of strain before.

Sorry to have made this so long, but if anyone knows what it could be, I'd be very grateful for suggestions. On a final note, my other half said that if the lemon plant dies, then I will too, so I'm starting to get a bit desperate..

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

You said: "I'm worried that its something serious"

The diagnosis is insufficient light. because " moved it to a table on the other side of the house, which has only some light, " perhaps also a water problem because "I've read about 'drainage', but haven't fully understood whether its essential - my new pot has no holes at the bottom"

Yes, drainage is essential.

Pots MUST have drainage holes to avoid excessively wet roots.

Bookmark   January 6, 2008 at 6:19PM
just_looking

Hey there Jean,

Thanks a lot for your response. So are you suggesting that I should move it back to an area of good light and repot in a pot with drainage?

Any further help would be appreciated.

Bookmark   January 7, 2008 at 5:26PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Short answer, yes!

Bookmark   January 7, 2008 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
Help with ground planting & care of Hamlin Orange tree in Ft. Lauderda
I am new to growing and caring for orange trees, having...
Shelly K.
Japanese Citrus - Sudachi or Kabosu
Hi, I am wanting to add these two trees to my citrus...
citrusboy
Need help with finding a Shasta Gold Mandarin Tree
By now I have called every nursery in California and...
Amir Javed
Meyer leaves issue
Hello, My container meyer is having issues. Leaves...
eshieh1
New Oro Blanco
We hit 99 degrees today and my newly planted Oro blanco...
evdesert 9B Indio, CA
Sponsored Products
Lush Decor Royal Dynasty Blue/ Brown Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Escobedo Sky 8' x 10'
Home Depot
Synthesis Giclee Glow Tiger Bronze Club Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Cordless Dual Sided LED Light Vanity Mirror
Lightology
Dazzling Blue Anya Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Lyndhurst Collection Ivory/Rust Area Rug (8' x 11')
Overstock.com
Kevin Plaid Rug 9' x 12' - BLUE
$1,249.00 | Horchow
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: American Rug Craftsmen Rugs Burlwood Dark
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™