Good potting mix for Citrus + fertilizer?

PunkRotten(9b)January 25, 2014

Hi,

I got 2 Citrus trees (Eureka Lemon and Persian Lime) potted in a 15 gallon pot each. Have had them both for 4-5 years, Lemon is about 4 foot while the Lime is a bushy 2 1/2 feet. Winter of '12-'13 I lightly pruned both and they responded well to that. I have no problems with the lime. However, the lemon runs into problems every now and then. One year in June it got yellow and dropped all its flowers and fruits. I started giving it Epsom salt and Azomite and it seemed to fix the problem. But it has this yellowing problem from time to time, but no fruit drop. Right now some of its leaves are starting to yellow. Some of the leaves have yellow veins, while others are just yellow. The Lime has no issues.

I think what this comes down to is the potting soil. I potted the lemon at a time I knew very little about Citrus and the mix I used was mostly wood chips with some compost I bought at a nursery. So I want to change out the potting mix. So my question is: What would be a good mix for citrus?

Materials I have on hand:

Peat Moss
Perlite
Vermiculite
Worm Castings

Would azomite be sufficient enough for providing trace minerals to Citrus? I was looking at some 10% chelated iron, but azomite has like 67 trace minerals and about 1.67% iron in it. Also, anyone care to share their fertilizing regimen.

Thanks,
D

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PunkRotten(9b)

I also got lime and sulfur on hand if the Citrus needs a PH adjustment.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 5:55PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

No, azomite will not be sufficient.

The ingredients you listed will not make a suitable citrus mix. Perlite is the only one of those ingredients that I would recommend.

Josh

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 1:46PM
PunkRotten(9b)

What would be a suitable Citrus mix?

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 2:37PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

A mix that is coarse, porous, durable, well-aerated, free-draining. This means that the particulate needs to be gritty, with most particles in the 1/8 to 1/4 inch range. In zone 9b, you have a bit more leeway in that your warm weather will mitigate some of the issues associated with heavier, more moisture-retentive mixes.

Many of us use bark-based mixes that are amended with small fractions of perlite, pumice, turface, potting mix, et cetera. Fafard's "Nursery Mix" is reportedly very good off the shelf. "Orchid Mix" with some tinkering can be decent as well.

Most "Citrus mix" is peat-based, however, so you'd want to avoid that...or else heavily amend it with coarse perlite.

Josh

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 2:48PM
PunkRotten(9b)

Cool, thanks. I will go do a little shopping around.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
The whole Citrus Gang on the back deck....
Brought all the Citrus outside today for a good Neeming...! I...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
My Meyer Lemon Tree is not doing well... can I save it?
Hi All, I am new to this forum and joined because I...
braun928
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™