Planting flower seeds outside

laila_2009November 28, 2010

If I want to plant petunia, sweet pea, english wallflower, creeping thyme, and mexican merigold, I am guessing I need to wait till the frost possibilities are gone. Am I correct?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenerme(z9/21 inland socal)

There is another alternative that I have had great luck with. Check out the wintersow forum. Just keep in mind that here in ca we may need to start a lot earlier because of the early onset of heat. I already have the following seeds germinated and growing for at least a month:

Shasta daisy marconi and crazy daisy
rudbeckia double gold
calendula (already transplanted in the garden)
echinacea white swan and magnus

I wintersowed these last year and they are still blooming now, so I want to add more this year. Also, I wintersow lettuce and other winter veggies because they come up faster that way.

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 2:56PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I plant all of my annual seeds at this time of year.
Renee

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 10:14PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Sweet peas will still do okay this time of year as seedlings if planted with full sun and good drainage. Petunias can often live over winter if established, but prefer warmth to start as seedlings. Get yourself a copy of Sunset Western Garden Book Encyclopedia, or go to the library, for a more comprehensive list of cool versus warm season annuals and perennials. Wildflower seeds of California natives might be a better choice this time of year, such as California poppies, Baby Blue Eyes and others. I'd also suggest you might want to look at the web site www.anniesannuals.com for suggestions of cool season flowers and natives if you want something from bloom right now, or stick with the typical mass market winter color choices this time of year such as pansies/violas, English primroses, cyclamen, calendula, stock, Iceland poppies, Cineraria, etc.

To get winter annuals to bloom in early winter, you should actually have started seed back in mid September to early October in Sunset zone 17 conditions.

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 10:44PM
peggiewho(z9 Ca)

laila 2009 great question. I can use this advice also. I started some seeds under lights but they are ssssssssslow and I figure I am not doing it well. How the heck to get those little things harden off an into the soil.
gardenerme are you using milk jugs and sitting them in the sun?
hosenemesis are you direct sowing or winter sowing. PS beautiful garden
The yard is a marsh with all the good rain we have had and more storms lining up. The winter sow Q&A says to wait until all the leaves are fallen or solstice. This is advice from northern gardeners I think.

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 11:41PM
gardenerme(z9/21 inland socal)

You could use milk jugs, however, I just get the deepest disposable lasagna pans with clear lids from walmart. I also reuse the large mixed salad containers from costco and albertsons. It's all the same . . .

Bookmark   November 29, 2010 at 5:04PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I use the clear plastic lids from supermarket rotisserie chickens if I want additional heat and protection from wind and frost. I tack them down on the ground with U shaped pieces of wire. But I don't normally do that in the winter; I do it occasionally in the spring for seeds that need heat to germinate.

But mostly I direct sow as soon as I get to it- any time from October to January. I throw the seed out and cover it thinly with compost. Here's what I sow for spring bloom:

larkspur
California poppy
Shirley, Peony, and Breadseed poppies
Red flax
toadflax
paludosum daisies
lobelia
feverfew
Hollyhocks
Queen Anne's Lace
Bachelor Buttons
Nasturtiums
Elegant clarkia

All of the easy stuff :)
Renee

Bookmark   November 29, 2010 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
Has anyone tried gooseberries and currants?
I love fruiting plants so much but being in the Bay...
tog5632
Where in Southern CA can I buy a bag of Dried Calimyrna figs?
My closest stupid town has one supermarket chain and...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
So Cal - TOP 3 Tomatoes
If you live in Southern California, and you could plant...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
LADWP turf removal rebate
Hello! My partner and I bought our house in March....
yourmomsart
ISO Bored/Retired Landscape Designer In Sacramento Area
Posting to ask if anyone in my area might know if there...
billy3p
Sponsored Products
Agave Drum Pendant by Zaneen
$2,645.28 | Lumens
Elements Stainless Steel One-Light Spice Swarovski Elements Pendant Light, 3.5W
Bellacor
Safavieh Courtyard CY0727-3707 7'10" Square Pink Rug
$214.76 | PlushRugs
Design Toscano The Majesty of Swan Lake Sculpture - NG30774
$175.95 | Hayneedle
Homecrest Dockside Aluminum 44 x 70 Rectangular Counter Table with Umbrella Hole
LuxeDecor
Oggetti | Magica Drum Pendant Light
$964.00 | YLighting
Suzanne Kasler Frasier Fir Tabletop Tree
Ballard Designs
Frameless Molten Wall Mirror
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™