nepenthes

mo89December 24, 2006

I have a little terrarium with a nepenthes pitcher plant in it and all of the traps are closed. They look pretty healthy, but the traps have been closed for a week now. Have they begun the dormant cycle or something?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jindegales

Can you tell me for how long the plant is inside that terrarium? Are u sure that there were no drastic changes on the environment recently? Nepenthes never go dormant. If the plant is disturbed while the pitchers are growing they stop doing it and stay closed.

Bookmark   December 26, 2006 at 4:15PM
mo89

i moved it outside to get a little sunlight and the temperature was about 15degrees lower than inside.

Bookmark   December 28, 2006 at 3:36PM
jonocross

Couple questions. First, what kind of light does it get in the terrarium. Secondly, tell me more about the nep. Do you know what kind it is? How big is it? How long have you had it... did it ever have any pitchers that fully matured?

Going on just what you've said so far, I'd say you shocked it a bit with the move to outside and that caused it not to fully develope the pitchers. In which case, when the plant gets back to normal, it'll make more leaves which will make more pitchers. There are however, other possible reasons. Tell me more about your set up and the environment the plant is in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tangled Web of Aracknight

Bookmark   December 29, 2006 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
Miracle Gro
:/ sigh Miracle Gro..... so it seems that this stuff...
ermaclob
Might be a stupid question but......,,
Hi everyone! I have two nepenthes. I believe they're...
LilBit7765
Dang whitefly infestation on pitcher plants
Hello dearies, I was wondering if anyone had a good...
Hoistthesails
WANTED: wanted pitcher plant
Hi all Im looking for pitcher plants or cuttings for...
renagirl-2008
Venus flytrap dormancy
hi I just wanted to know the best way to get my Venus...
compostworm5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™