Improved Meyer lemonade

jpaz(9b)January 7, 2014

I am sure this has been discussed already in several prior threads, but here is a "refresher":

I am a diabetic who dearly loves lemonade. Traditional lemonade mixes incorporate quite a bit of (usually) cane sugar - a real problem for me..

Here is a lemonade recipe (not mine) that I find suitable for me that is quick and easy to make and that is coincidentally the best lemonade I have ever tasted:

Squeeze, by hand, one improved Meyer lemon into a drinking glass with ice cubes.

Add one teaspoon of Agave nectar

Fill the glass with water and stir

.......... sip and enjoy

Notes:

You don't have to be diabetic to enjoy this heavenly concoction.

The Agave nectar is advertised as having a lower glycemic index than conventional sweeteners so the maker claims it won't spike your blood sugar (but remember it is still high fructose sugar - so use it accordingly). CAVEAT: of course, if you are diabetic you should check with your nutritionist/physician to be sure it is OK to consume this mix if you have any qualms.

You can adjust the tartness by varying the amount of Agave nectar you add - one teaspoon is just right for me.

JP

This post was edited by jpaz on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 23:30

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Boozemonkey(Massachusetts 6B)

Thanks James! Im going to give it a try.

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 7:51PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

James, I'm an RN, and I make Meyer lemonade all the time without sugar. It is just so much healthier this way. Only I use either Stevia or Splenda as my sweetener. So, almost no sugar at all, save for the small amount in the lemon juice. But, Agave nectar is also an excellent choice. I call it my "411 Information Lemonade". 4 parts water, 1 part Meyer lemon juice, and supposedly 1 part sweetener, but I usually reduce the sweetener, as that's too sweet for me. So, as I make up large amounts (it goes so fast here, I have to make large amounts), I use 8 cups water, 2 cups lemon juice and about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups sweetener. We make up many batches of this for our big 4th of July party when we have the family over. And yes, for those with health issues such as diabetes, always check with your doctor or dietician about using any artificial sweetener of any kind in your diet.

Patty S.

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 11:40PM
jpaz(9b)

Thank you for that input Patty. I want to eliminate sugar of any kind from my lemonade because of the health benefits you describe. I made up some without using any sugar and I liked it very much -- I have a high acidic tolerance anyway and I found the tartness much to my liking.

JP

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
Is my tree a goner???
I came home from work to find our miniature sour orange...
christimfarley
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
Questions about repotting container grown citrus
Hi all, I am a complete newbie but I have taken great...
emilygreenie
Avacado planted
Planted this darling in a 511 mix, next day I get this...
cjlopez04
Polyembryonic seeds
Hi to all I'm germinating some kumquat seeds and some...
swfx
Sponsored Products
Screw Table by Tom Dixon
$1,485.00 | Lumens
Bellino Green Tea 63 x 50-Inch Blackout Curtain Single Panel
$63.95 | Bellacor
Durable Dog Boots
$34.50 | FRONTGATE
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Well Woven Rugs Barclay Sarouk Black 7 ft. 10
Home Depot
Hammered Solid Brass Double Push Button and Outlet Plate
Signature Hardware