Growing Sarracenia Purpurea from Seed

Morpheus119(6)December 30, 2012

Hey guys, I'm a new carnivorous plant enthusiast, and I'm planning on trying to grow my first CPs. I have recently bought a packet of Sarracenia purpurea (north american purple pitcher), and I would be very gratious for any tips on how to sprout/grow these. I know they need a cold stratification period in order to sprout, but I don't know how long they need to be in stratification or a good soil mixture to grow them in. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodnative(6)

Hello! This is rewarding but takes time. Do you have any mature Sarracenia plants? In any case, you can plant them in straight peat moss or peat/perlite or peat/sand or peat/Sphagnum moss or straight Sphagnum moss. Avoid fertile garden or potting soil. You can sow directly on a pot full of the above and moisten the pot and put the whole thing in a zip-loc bag into the fridge for at least a month. Than bring it out and put it under fluorescent lights (still keep the zip-loc bag).....the little seeds will sprout in 2 or 3 weeks. That will get you started. When the little seedlings get a couple of true leaves you can repot/separate them. The little seedlings will not need dormancy the first winter and you will get larger plants quicker by avoiding it. Good luck and have fun!

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 11:33AM
Morpheus119(6)

Thank you for replying! I will definitely have to try that. Unfortunately I don't have any mature plants. I was hoping to grow these from seed so that these would be my first plants. Also, thanks for the extra tip about the skipping their first dormancy. I thought they needed it every year.

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 2:20PM
schukie3

i have some seeds that have been stratified and are now under a flourescent light now for almost 4 weeks, I still have not seen any growth, do u think they died or should i give it a little more time? oops by the way they are purple pitcher plant growing in peat and sand.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 3:58PM
CJ-Speciosa(7a)

If you like that variety, here is mine. It's two years old.

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Sarracenia Barba brown tips
I bought a Sarracenia Barba earlier this year and it...
juneyp
Dang whitefly infestation on pitcher plants
Hello dearies, I was wondering if anyone had a good...
Hoistthesails
Conditions for Cephalotus seeds?
What conditions are necessary for germination of the...
townhouserOnt
Mold... *Sigh*
Well, I screwed up. I didn't cover up the plants dormant...
David146
Pitcher Plant for a Beginner...
I'm new to carnivorous plants and was interested in...
iheartroscoe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™