flowering now?

mattmega4(9)December 6, 2009

I purchased a red leaf drosera capensis from you serracenia northwest a while back, and I thought it'd be kind of cool to grow a store bought droseara capensis next to a properly raised CP...both seem to be doing great. i live in bay area california and have them outside in the full sun in a liter box of distilled water ever since. I went up to admire my cps and i noticed the store bought sundew has started to put up a flower stalk..im prob gona shoot way over or under..but i think ive had them for liek 2 months or more. Is this normal? If it is a symtopm of death cube syndrome how long will it take to cure?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hunterkiller03(9)

Yes it is normal for cape sundews to flower, these are tropical plants and will flower according to their growth cycle. Flowering is a good sign it has recovered. The one that you bought from the store may be on a different cycle then the one you purchased from Sarracenia Northwest.

As a side note, cape sundews, depending on the variety. Will produce foot long scapes of about 20 flowers or so, my alba cape sundews have produced scape up to 18-inches long with 30 flowers.

Cheers!

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 12:56AM
mattmega4(9)

i guess i'm just surprised they are flowering now in the winter..i guess thats cool..glad they healed up

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 1:20AM
petiolaris(Neutral)

My albino version of capensis is sending up a flower scape. That "flower and die" phenomenon is mostly associated with VFT's and lack of light energy.

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
Pitcher Plant for a Beginner...
I'm new to carnivorous plants and was interested in...
iheartroscoe
Artificial lighting for Sarracenia?
I lived in Zone 10 (San Francisco) and moved from a...
rms9004
Cloth in pitcher plant
I just wonder, what would happen if a cotton or polyster...
mrcactus747
Miracle Gro
:/ sigh Miracle Gro..... so it seems that this stuff...
ermaclob
Can dead sphagnum turn into live sphagnum?
I'm noticing some green patches in my LFS. Is it live...
outsiders71
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™