Can Dahlias be grown in the Desert?

Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9bNovember 4, 2008

I love dalhias. I had many in Orange County, but when I moved here, the planting is limited. Pretty much to citrus and olives!! A few roses will survive. Any suggestions for growing Dahlias in the Desert would be appreciated. Gorgeous flowers!!

Even my ginger lily that I snaked home from Hawaii has survived. It blooms in the shade in Nov. Thanksgiving!!

I want Dahlias!! Can I do it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I see no reason why you can't grow dahlias. They will need summer water, but no more than your ginger lilies. Al

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 3:59PM
denisez10(SoCal)

I have an awful time with dahlias here near the coast, Long Beach, Zone 10. Seems I either choose a spot with too much sun or not enough, so I've been growing them in containers to better dial in sunlight requirements, with some success, but still not a lot of blooms. Since many of the commercial growers are in the Pacific Northwest with high humidity/rainfall and less intense sunlight, I've tended to keep my dahlias out of all-day full sun. So maybe try pots until you sort out the sunlight requirements is what I'm suggesting. A nurseryman did tell me that the Mystic series is the best he's seen for ease of growth and prolific bloom, mildew resistance, so I'm adding those for next year.

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 8:16PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

I'd suggest you try dwarf bedding type dahlias instead of full size dahlias or those with massive double petals. the reason being that deserts tend to get high winds which will trash the foliage and flowers of the double petal hybrids. Dwarf bedding types stay low to the ground, do not need staking, and will probably use a bit less water because they won't lose as much water to evapotranspiration. They will need prefer full sun and regular water, so are not at all drought tolerant, and also like rich soil and deep mulching.

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 11:39AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Thanks for all the advice!! I am going to order some 4' dahlias with 6" blooms and am going to put them near my boganvillas (which are trellised) on an east facing wall. The wall should protect them. And I can tie them to the boganvillas for support. I love the big ones that you can cut and bring in!!

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 3:11PM
More Discussions
little green worms on roses
Larvae of what? They seem to be going for the buds...
bettyn_gardener
What's the deal with milkweed
When is a good time to locate seeds or starts for milkweed?...
sf_rhino
Sunset Magazine slowly being gutted
A real shame. I've been a subscriber for decades, ever...
jkom51
chrysanthemums california!
Hi all, I bought these lovely yellow chrysanthemums...
Vyoma Hadkar Khaparde
Sparrows
Photo of a nest of sparrows under my porch. There are...
tim45z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™