Are there any plants from Spain and Italy I should look for?

dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)April 24, 2007

It's probably too early to harvest any seeds this month while we're there. Just wondering if there are any unusual plants I might find packaged seeds for?

A cool place we're visiting is the Aboca herb farm and processing facility. Hubby is on the board of Gaia Herbs in Brevard and Gaia is distributing here for Aboca. Should be an interesting change from the typical tourist spots.

Can't believe our 30 y/o single son is going with us. We haven't had a family vacation since he was 14.

He likes plants and he was my 'shovel' while we lived in the same house.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dibbit(z7b SC)

Lucky you!! Have a wonderful time!

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 1:26PM
alicia7b(z7b/8aNC)

There's a lady who posts with some frequency on the antique roses forum. Her username is melissa_thefarm. She's an American who has lived in northern Italty for a number of years. She may be able to help you out.

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 1:50PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

Thanks you two.

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 3:49PM
aisgecko(7b Raleigh)

Customs will not allow you to bring seeds back. If they catch you, that is. Plant materials are restricted and require a permit. Not that I care if you do it, and I'm sure you could hide a few seeds. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of that. -Ais.

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 4:46PM
trianglejohn

The things I would look for is the small farms that grow Anemone's and Ranunculus for the cut flower trade. They grow some exquisite extra large blossoms in unusuall colors over there. Intensely rich tones on flowers the size of large grapefruit. These same bulbs are available after import but cost a fortune over here. There is also a perennial snapdragon that grows wild around that area - Antirrhinum braun-blanquetti (I'm guessing on the spelling). Only comes in pale yellow with gold in the throat but forms a nice large matt with normal snap sized flower spikes. I have seeds which have sprouted so I am interested if they will grow here (they evidentally do well in CA).

Other than that, just enjoy the gardens I've heard they're spectacular!

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 5:05PM
carla17(Z7 NC)

Have a wonderful trip Dottie!

Carla

Bookmark   February 1, 2008 at 1:23PM
karen__w(z7 Durham, NC)

Dottie, I brought back commercially packaged arugula seed from Italy last summer. I bought them at the grocery store in Montalcino because they had several different types that I don't usually find in the States. I read before I went over that commercial seed packets were OK to bring back, but I listed them on my declaration for customs just in case something had changed or I had misread the regulations. The customs officer said they were fine and scratched it off the declaration form for me.

Bookmark   February 2, 2008 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
Fruit trees
Hi! We've decided we have room for nine more fruit...
HollowOakFarm
A New Year's Resolution
I resolve to co-exist with hairy bittercress. This...
dottie_in_charlotte
Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society
The Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society will have...
hosta200
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™