Strange growths on pincushion cactus

giwaffeJuly 8, 2013

I have had my cactus for a long time, and its always had these strange bumps on it. I just ignored it, but as you can see, some have been getting very prominent lately. Im just curious as to what they are. Flowers? Seeds?

Also, i would like to know if the pot im using is too small, and if im watering it the right amount (1 tablespoon every week or so)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Those are cactus pups. This cactus will form a cluster with age.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 11:38AM
wiley1983(6b)

You should water it when the soil is bone dry, but give it a really good soaking, i fill up a bucket and sink the whole pot under the water so the center of the root ball gets water. The way you are watering it the cactus must be very thirsty, i bet if you watered it my way you would notice a huge difference in a very short time!!

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 10:41PM
brodyjames_gw

Hi giwaffe,

So far, the pot looks to be the right size. If you want to pot up, only go about an inch bigger.
Your watering is another story. Your plant should be in a pot with a drainage hole, and your mix (at minimum) should be 50% cactus mix and 50% perlite. You want a mixture that is fast draining. Never water a cactus or succulent immediately after repotting/potting up....always wait about a week. Then, water thoroughly. This means water until you see it draining out the hole. Let the plant dry out then repeat. Terra cotta pots work best for this because they are porous and will allow the soil to dry out quicker. If you don't like the look of terra cotta, pot the plant up in one and then put that pot into a nicer container to catch the water. Just remember to empty the nicer pot.

Nancy

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 1:17AM
norma_2006

Was it recently fertilized. This is quiet normal for it to grow into a clump. It may not flower while it is producing offsets. your offset are large enough to be removed carefully. This will tell the plant to put it efforts into make a flower and seeds. Set the offset on top of pot of fast draing mix. don't water until you can tell that there are roots, in a month give a gentle tug holding the top of the new offset. Water thoroughly once a month, you may set the pot into a plate of water to water from the bottom. There is a reason for this can't type it now. HAnd is tired, I quit now. Norms

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 5:00PM
More Discussions
Echeveria help! Flowers prematurely shrivel
My poor little Echeveria has been trying to flower...
ceourso
amazing looking succulent too good to be true?
Anyone have any naysay about ordering from online?...
Britni Rice
mixing the al's gritty mix questions.
Do I put the 1:1:1 ratio together by weight or volume?...
Britni Rice
what is this propigation and what can I do with the root?!
this is something a friend of mine gave my mom in a...
Britni Rice
growing succulents from seeds
Is there a special trick to growing succulents from...
Britni Rice
Sponsored Products
Modiss | Jade Wall Sconce
$567.00 | YLighting
Plumen 001 Light Bulb by Hulger
$30.00 | Lumens
Stranger in a Strange Land Print
$18.99 | Dot & Bo
Piano 5pc Place Setting - Iittala
$96.00 | HORNE
Athena Alice 3 in 1 Convertible Crib - Cherry - 4689C
$249.00 | Hayneedle