when do you pick persimmons?

deep___roots(ca9/sunset15)November 15, 2007

They are orange, but really really hard. Might that just be the variety? In any case, when do you pick them?

This is the first year the tree has produced more than a dozen fruit. There must be a hundred on there now. Thanks for the persimmon advice. We make persimmon bread with the fruit.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenguru1950(SunsetZ16)

If you have the astringent types, such as 'Hachiya' that looks like an upside-down pear, you can pick them as soon as they turn deepest orange. They'll be hard but they ripen best off the tree. Once off the tree, allow them to turn almost-mushy soft to become edible-sweet without being astringent.

If you have the non-astringent type, such as 'Fuyu' that looks like a squat tomato, you pick it as soon as it's a nice color. It can be eaten while still firm. They will soften to mushy and can be used as the ones above but most people prefer to eat them firm in salads, etc..

Joe

Bookmark   November 15, 2007 at 2:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Generally I would agree with Joe, except if you have birds, squirrels and raccoons, you may have to forego the waiting until the deepest orange color, and pick them now. Squirrels in particular can be nasty, and bite into every persimmon well before they are sweet/soft enough to eat. They do ripen well off the tree, and here in the East Bay, they are already colored up enough to pick.

Bookmark   November 15, 2007 at 5:53PM
More Discussions
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
Please Help: Sheet Mulching leads to Bermuda Grass Nightmare!
Ok so we decided to lose our lawn "The Bay Friendly...
ktgrandy
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
Lattice grid pavers and what to plant
Using these to make a walkway in the alley that connects...
oberci
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™