Berries - Will they grow in Clay Soil? Greenville area.

eldemilaApril 10, 2010

Okay, I admit it, I probably leaped before I looked. I bought some berry plants at Sams when I was up to close on our new (old) home last month without even knowing if they will grow in a yard with clay soil, where to plant, how to plant, etc etc.

Can anyone give me some advice? I'm leaving to go back tomorrow, plants are taking the road trip too, at least 7 ouy of 8 of them are, one was a dud, I don't think there was a plant in there to begin with. There's some blueberries (5) and a raspberry and I think a blackberry.

Can they be put in pots? If so, any good recommendations on where to get some cheap pots in Greenville area?

THANKS

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
torajima

Blueberry bushes need the same type of soil as azaleas. If you have clay soil, you should amend it and possibly plant them in mounds if your drainage is poor.

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 7:51PM
Tammy Kennedy

Yes, berries can grow in pots, but they will have to be pretty big. You can use those plastic tubs or storage containers after you drill drainage holes. Blackberries and raspberries won't have problems with clay, but the blues would benefit from adding some light stuff before you plant, and plant high, like torajima suggests.

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 8:14PM
eldemila

Thanks for the replies, but what's considered "light stuff" and what's amending soil? I can see, I have a LOT to learn!

Will check back on Monday, granted I find some open internet connection when I get up to SC.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 8:41PM
Tammy Kennedy

compost compost compost! Homemade, landfill made or store bought. Some vole block/permatill wouldn't hurt, either. Amending the soil is mixing the compost & permatill into it. Start by searching the forums here and reading up- you'll learn a lot.

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 12:12AM
ladyhen76(7b)

Also, blueberries have very shallow roots - only about 6" deep. So you won't have to amend very deep. You could get away with a raised bed.

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 10:08PM
eldemila

Thanks for the reply.

Was at Ace yesterday and bought some potting mix, some garden helper, mushroom compost and few other things they had on sale - now I'll figure out how to use them, and wehn. Maybe Sunday I'll make an attempt to plant the berries, but first, I have to tackle the weeds. That's a whole other post!!!!

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 9:49AM
torajima

Blueberries don't like mushroom compost. You might want to use black kow instead.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 3:26PM
eldemila

Thanks for letting me know about the compost. I take it black kow is something like what I saw called Moo-nure, or something like that :)

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
Decidious Magnolias Toast Sunday Morning?
Most decidious mags are blooming their beautiful pink...
jqpublic
Heirloom Seeds
Greetings! I've been away for a while. Puzzled by...
columbiasc
Did he "crape-murder" my crape myrtle ?
My husband looked online for instructions on how to...
Gigi z 7B, SC, USA
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
aaaaaaaa
School flower project....mulch over clay?
My daughter has been looking forward to sowing seeds...
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b
Sponsored Products
Hand-woven Glam Seagrass Rug (2'6 x 8')
Overstock.com
Torino Swirls Red Rectangular: 5 ft. 3 in. x 7 ft. 10 in. Rug
$229.00 | Bellacor
MTI Juliet Tub (72" x 35.875" x 31.5")
Modern Bathroom
Hughes U-Sofa Sectional (3 piece) - Cordova Eclipse Gray
Joybird Furniture
5'x8' Navy Tribal Design Kazakh Hand Knotted 100% Wool Oriental Rug Sh18247
1800 Get A Rug