Sooty mold on Orange tree

leubafr(z8/9)January 5, 2008

This past summer I saw white flies on my orange tree. They did not seem to bother the tree, but as the oranges finished this fall, I noticed black sooty mold on the leaves and the fruit. It is easily washed off the fruit but my tree is 15' tall. How do I wash off this soot and prevent this from happening again?

Anyone can you help me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
malcolm_manners

As you seem to be indicating, sooty mold is, indeed, an aftereffect of the whiteflies. It grows on their honeydew excrement. So whitefly control will prevent further sooty mold. As for removing existing mold, a light horticultural spray oil will loosen it, and it will curl up. Then a blast from a hose will remove it. If this is an outdoor tree that could experience frost, I'd not use oil in winter. Wait until after any danger of frost.

Bookmark   January 6, 2008 at 12:22AM
leubafr(z8/9)

Thank you so much for your response. This is indeed a tree that grows outside in the ground. It produced over 1000 oranges this year and I do not want anything to rob it of it's production value. All of my friends and family have reaped the rewards of this wonderful tree.

Thanks again,

Leubafr

Bookmark   January 12, 2008 at 12:45PM
leubafr(z8/9)

I still have the sooty mold (since I was afraid of frost) and there are so many white flies swarming around I can hardly get close to check the tree. This is an OUTDOOR tree that is about 15'high. What do I do? It is now blooming and setting fruit along with growing new growth. Very heavy new growth.

Bookmark   April 7, 2008 at 4:26PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Do as was suggested earlier,
"As for removing existing mold, a light horticultural spray oil will loosen it, and it will curl up. Then a blast from a hose will remove it."

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 4:10PM
leubafr(z8/9)

Thanks again, will do. Didn't want to do anything that would keep my blooms from setting.

Bookmark   April 13, 2008 at 8:29PM
kathy11

we have sooty black stuff on the top of some of the oranges in our tree, but donot see any white flies flying around...

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 11:08PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Some scale insects and aphids are other culprits in the production of honeydew. The whole key to getting rid of the sooty mold is to locate and identify the insect(s) that are producing the honeydew.

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 1:27PM
ralatona_yahoo_com

Should I spray during bloom or wate untill after the fruit sets.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
Help with citrus scale
Hello all, my satsuma mandarin is dropping leaves....
Jeff
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™