Overwintering fuschia

sautesmomNovember 7, 2009

I bought a hanging fuschia, and I've searched online about keeping it going for next year, but most advice seems to be for back east.

Does anyone on this forum overwinter fuschia, and any advice about the best way to do it?

Thanks

Carla in Sac

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bgrow_gardens(9)

Hi Carla,
I don't post here often, however I do read a lot of CA posts..I am also from Sacramento,CA. I also have a fuschia, although it is not hanging. It is in a pot in the semi-shade under my brugmansia, which is a humongous plant for being in a pot right now. The fuschia is quite happy and has had a profuse amount of blooms, as well as the brug. They have both been blooming throughout the growing season. The fuschia is an 'upright' variety. This has been my third year overwintering it. They are both grown in dappled shade from my mimosa tree and have had the run-off from the air conditioner drip on them throughout the year. I only panic if it is going to be freezing on a particular night. I have gone to goodwill and purchased some sheets specifically for this occasion. If I have warning I throw the sheets over the brugmansia, and also the fuschia. Then I remove them the next day.I only mention this be cause I have 2 jobs and I am not as lucky to cover them both appropriately on occasion. Maybe I have been lucky and got a break here and there. Both are grown on a semi-protected porch at best. I would be happy to get together and trade cuttings of various plants,or seeds if you are interested sometime?
brow_gardens

Bookmark   November 7, 2009 at 5:14PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

My winter is not much different from yours and I also have a fuschia in a hanging basket. I move it under a pergola with a Clematis covering the top which seems to give it all the frost protection it needs. Al

Bookmark   November 7, 2009 at 11:12PM
deep___roots(ca9/sunset15)

I be in the Bay Area. I have several. One is the main plant in one of them fake half barrels. Got 2 of F. Gartenmeister in smaller pots. All these are under a lath near the house all year round. No cold weather in the Winter has killed them yet.
Then I have 4 that are in hanging baskets. I have installed these inside and on the edges of the gazebo, which is under a giant monterey cypress. Again, I expect no cold problems due to the overhead protection of structure & tree. These even have some blooms right now.
I cut them back hard sometime in February and they jump right back into growth for Spring.

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 11:53AM
More Discussions
Pittosporum 'Silver Sheen'
I live in Northridge, CA which is located in the San...
runaround
Pride of Madeira PRUNING and question
Hi, Hope you can help. The net and Sunset's Garden...
piper101
Looking for Soil Testing Company Recommendations
I'd like to have my soil tested and would like some...
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
ISO Bored/Retired Landscape Designer In Sacramento Area
Posting to ask if anyone in my area might know if there...
billy3p
Help! Acacia invaded by caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
Sponsored Products
nuLOOM Handmade Moden Ikat Rug (7'6 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
Hand-tufted Contemporary /Pink Bostor New Zealand Wool Abstract Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
Soiree Floor Lamp by Lights Up!
$426.00 | Lumens
8.25'' Fuschia Scalloped Pail Planter
$12.99 | zulily
nuLOOM Hand-hooked Marrakesh Fez Wool Fuschia Rug (7'6 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
Fuschia Faux Silk Curtain Panel
$12.99 | zulily
Memory Rectangular Suspension by Axis 71
$1,544.00 | Lumens
Fuschia Nonslip Velvet Hanger - Set of 25
$12.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™