Want Charlotte volunteers to help with gardening program

elaine5678April 24, 2008

(I accidentally posted this in the Carolina Exchange Forum... here it is again)

Hi all,

I'm a volunteer, starting a gardening program at Aldersgate Retirement home on Shamrock Road in Charlotte, and I'm looking for more volunteers to help out. The first program will be on May 8. I'm doing this once a month for now, but it'd be great to have more volunteers so we're able to do this more than once a month.

If you're interested, let me know. The projects are up to you, or I can help you brainstorm (easy is ok!) You can have the supplies donated, or the retirement home will buy them for you, so there's no financial commitment, just your time!

The program on May 8 starts at 6:30 and will last about an hour to an hour and a half. You're welcome to come watch and help out!

I look forward to hearing from you!

-Elaine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bullthistle

That's not far from me, so it's no problem. I'll make a note. See you on May 8.

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 10:42AM
bullthistle

Looks as if everyone else is busy. Got some composted manure so do you want me to bring perennials or some woodies i.e., dogwood and/or crape?

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 8:44AM
elaine5678

I was thinking of getting some pansies and have a Mother's Day theme. They have random pots there and potting soil. I was getting flowers and maybe ribbon to tie around the pots to brighten them up a little... but we can do whatever we want.

Thanks for coming! I thought I'd get a few more responses here!

Hmmm, the dogwoods would be a good idea too. They'd be a good Mother's Day type thing. I was told there would be only about 6-8 people there. So we don't have to plan for a large crowd. How many dogwoods and crapes do you have to bring?

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 10:10AM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

Elaine, I'm too far from the site but I would recommend that instead of pansies, you substitute calibrachoa. Much hardier and longer blooming. You can also show them how to make a gazillion plants from rooting slips(in water) of all the gorgeous kinds of coleus.
Show them how adding a twig of willow will help almost anything root in water.
The elderly with financial limitations will appreciate how one coleus plant will make enough plants to fill a bed and more to share. If each participant got one variety/color in a month they could gather to swap and share.

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 11:44AM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

Another tip..last year when I injured my knee and couldn't kneel or squat to plant, I dug the hole to the correct depth, took the plant and put it in a small bag of netting suspended from a coat hanger to drop in the hole, then just drew the soil up around the plant.

The netting has holes that are 1/4" or more..big enough for soil to make contact with what's around the young plant and plenty of room for roots to grow out of the netting.
It was tedious but all my planting in early spring was done standing up. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 11:56AM
bullthistle

See you tonight. Anything you need me to bring?

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 9:06AM
More Discussions
Dwarf Tomatoes - Anyone Growing Them?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
Potatoes in Raleigh
Can anyone recommend potato varieties to grow in Raleigh?...
kckmartin
Did he "crape-murder" my crape myrtle ?
My husband looked online for instructions on how to...
Gigi z 7B, SC, USA
gardening in the carolinas
Yeaaa, finally found this. Now I can find what is needed...
mary grether
Callistemon citrinus & Cordyline australis --Winter hardy plants?
Hello, Has anyone had experience in keeping these plants...
gardening_in_nc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™