Acquired my Stapelia gigantea, health check?

DavidL.caJuly 31, 2014

So I went ahead and bought the Stapelia that I saw at IKEA the other day, too curious about its flower, not sure if it's gigantea but seems like most people had the same ID for it. I was surprised that it has a velvety feel on the stems

Does it look somewhat healthy?

It must have been in the showroom for a few days or weeks already, so I will probably leave it be for a little while before thinking about watering/repotting. Although I don't know what the heck kind of soil it is in right now......yuck. Is that coir? (don't think so)

The tiny buds, I wonder why it's on the youngest/smallest stem of the plant... hope it will flower for me!

This post was edited by DavidL.ca on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 12:03

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

David,
Don't do anything to that plant except water it when dry. It is about to flower for you. Doesn't happen too ofter unless it is happy. Wait untill it flowers before doing anything. The buds will far off is disturbed. Also if 'gigantea', those buds will get to be big ballons before opening. It should have a light yellowish/brown color. Some 'starfish flowers' got to be over 12 inches wide. So wait and see and post back.
Stush

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 1:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidL.ca

Thanks Stush, gonna leave it be (except watering) for now and see if I can get it to bloom.

Unfortunately, one of the buds died off, but the other smaller one has been growing in size steadily, hopefully it will make it!
Very curious if it's gonna be a gigantea or something else!

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 9:59PM
More Discussions
Gollum Surprise
Gollum leaf I came across tonight. Christopher
kaktuskris
Hard time finding Cereus Cacti i.e. a nice Ming Thing etc
I really thought this would be an easy task, but I'm...
Bama_Joe
Can someone identify this succulent
Would like to know the name of this succulent and does...
enjoyingspring
Crassula "Green Bird"
Hi, just recieved my cutting of Crassula "Green...
bens2bens
Little Cyathia and Hopes of Bigger Things...
Cyathia on my little Euphorbia today, and little buds...
kaktuskris
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™