What do I do with all these Limes?

Suzi AKA DesertDanceJanuary 26, 2014

We have a Bears Lime. The limes are HUGE! It takes 4 to make a cup of juice. I have at least 2 gallons frozen. Every day, hubby comes up and tosses 6 more at me! YIKES!

Tonight we had Margaritas made with 4 limes, and Talapia - Avocado Ceviche made with 3.5 limes. Didn't make a dent.

What am I going to do with all these limes?

Thanks!

Suzi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

When my Bearss lime had that sort of bumper crop, I donated many to a local food kitchen. call around first as not all will want as many as you likely have.

Jean,
who gardened in SoCal for 30-some years

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 11:19PM
gregbradley(Upland, CA USDA 9b Sunset 19)

So far it isn't a problem for me with a 17 year old that likes sour stuff. When he finally moves out, I will be in trouble.

Once I finally realized how prolific they are, I espaliered one to cut down its production of fruit.

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 9:42AM
orangelime1

You call this a problem margaritas , tilapia , avacado ceviche did I happen to mention margaritas. Someone's else's problem another persons paradise.

Cheers Brian

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 12:04PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

Thanks for the suggestions! I went to saveur.com and did a recipe search for lime. Got 901 results, BUT most recipes only use a tablespoon or two.

I found a chicken / lime soup which is similar to tortilla soup, so I'll give that a go, and am thinking Greek Avgolemono soup might taste good with limes instead of lemons.

Oh no! Lemons are starting to ripen!!

Brian, sorry to make you envious, but too much of anything is not a good thing. I've got enough frozen for margaritas all summer!

Suzi

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 1:18PM
insteng

I have the same problem with oranges every year. I give them away by the sack full and I still can't give away enough of them. Though it is better than not having enough.

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 1:40PM
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

desertdance

Could you post a pic or 2. I would like to see what this overproduction tree looks like.

Steve

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 2:21PM
tantanman(z9Tx)

My friend in Corpus Christi has two large lime trees. He freezes them whole in plastic bags, then juices them as they thaw.

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 3:51PM
johnorange

Make limeade....1 cup lime juice in 1 Liter of ginger ale. Sweeten to taste.

Freeze your lime juice in an ice tray or in 1cup plastic freezer containers....pop them out after they are frozen and put in zip-loc baggies. They keep nicely for at least a year.

You can dilute your lime juice....1/4 cup in about a quart of water and use it as an after shampoo rinse for your hair and your body. Do a final freshwater rinse after the citrus. You will smell like a lime and your skin's pH will be slightly low as it should be.

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
Need help with my Meyer lemon!
Hi everyone, new to this forum and to gardening in...
wanderess
My first Meyer Lemon tree in the heat of Arizona
Hi Everyone, My last adventure with growing blueberries...
jacqdavis
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™