This one is getting too big, but what is it?

socksJuly 15, 2014

Bought a small succulent, perfect for the pot. Not so perfect now as it's getting too large. I'm considering putting it in the ground but since it had no tag, I'm not sure of the light requirements. Can anyone ID it for me so I can research a little? I have a close up of the leaf if it's needed. The leaves have a "seam" lengthwise, kind of like a green bean (but it's not a pod with seeds inside).

Thank you.

This post was edited by socks12345 on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 13:09

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mingtea(z9 Tucson)

Senecio barbertonicus, I think.

-Ming

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 2:12PM
PaulaZ

Looks like chalk sticks to me

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 2:13PM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

I think S. barbertonicus has fatter leaves. Chalk Sticks (common name) can mean different plants to different people.

I believe your plant is Senecio 'Himalaya'. There have been several discussions over the past years that I can recall. It was confusing to us all. FYI, if you're interested, that "seam" you referred to (more like a window slit to me--you can see through it) points me to a Senecio ID. BUT...it is such a HUGE genus...it is, at times, daunting to figure out IDs.

Sun or part shade, I think. You can Google the name for care requirements.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 7:50PM
socks

OK, thanks. I looked at the photos and they look like my plant. Have you grown one, Roesmariero? Apparently they go to 3-4', and I'm wondering if it's a floppy plant or if it stands up well on its own like a shrub. I'm thinking of putting it under a window with morning sun.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 8:55PM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

I (think) I have one, but it has gone through a LONG period of severe neglect, so barely hanging on. (Very sad!) I used to have several-but all small in pots.

I am in the process of PIG in my front yard. (Plant in Ground) Hoping that one makes the cut. I think it will be like a small sub-shrub. What you have in mind sounds like the perfect place for it! Good luck!

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 9:53PM
mingtea(z9 Tucson)

Ah, I hasn't heard of 'Himalaya' and then I saw another one in the same Senecio neighborhood I also didn't know today: S. vitalis. Good to know!

-Ming

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 9:34PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I PIGed mine and it died in a cold front. DG said it had some cold hardiness, welllll, not as much as it says, maybe if it is if bone dry. Win some loose some, no, loose lots.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 11:19PM
socks

I happened to see the plant I have in a nursery today. It was identified as "senecio barbetonicum." I haven't found anything about it in my cactus/succulent book or on line. Would this be a full sun plant? My zone gets hot in summer (99 next weekend) occasional freezes in the winter.

Bookmark   September 28, 2014 at 7:51PM
bouldergrower

I have been using this Encyclopedia lately and it is quite good:

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/SUCCULENTS/Family/Asteraceae/27709/Senecio_barbertonicus

Bookmark   September 28, 2014 at 11:28PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

It looks like Senecio barbertonicus to me. I had that plant for 6 or 7 years and it got about 6' tall. I think I would have gotten taller but I hacked it back several times. Full sun. Mine got zero water, but I'm coastal.

It has the virtue of staying really green with zero water, but the flowers are awful and need to be cut off after they are finished. It was swallowing one of my Agaves so I finally pulled it out. Easy to root from a cutting.

Bookmark   September 28, 2014 at 11:38PM
socks

Ok, very good! Thanks to you both for the info. I'll check out that encyclopedia.

Bookmark   September 29, 2014 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
Need a good place to buy Mesembs and cheridopsis
Hi folks, Looking for a place that has a good selection...
Bama_Joe
March blooms (2015)
March is here...what succulents do you have blooming? Not...
rina_
Help new cacti ID and everything is dying :/
Ok a bit dramatic but here's my new cacti Close ups If...
birdgerhl
Watering & fertilizer regimine??
For the last year (one summer & one winter) I have...
halocline
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™