potted bell peppers plants

vegegurlNovember 3, 2008

In May 2008 I planted red bell pepper seeds from a fresh red pepper. I now have 3 individual potted pepper plants (apx 15" eac). There are about 5-6 rather small peppers amongst the 3 plants, plus many tiny peppers and many flowering buds (Ok..I'm a novice, first pepper plant. They are sooo cute and I am so excited to watch them grow). Now the temperature is cooling 45-50 degrees at night...65-70 during the day. What should my next step be? Can I cover them with plastic with holes punched for the peppers to breathe, place them in my garage. I have no clue. I just hope I can save these peppers. I enjoy watching them grow from me planting the seeds. Thank you :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CA Kate

Peppers need a lot of heat to produce fruit. If your temps are that cold you just might need to toss them and plant some more next year..... I have 12 pots of peppers in all sizes. I started pickling some -- out of desperation for what to do with all the little ones. ;-D

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 9:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thegardenpages

What if you started bringing them in at night? Wouldn't that buy some time until they're bigger?

I've had good luck overwintering peppers in my garden.

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 5:00AM
More Discussions
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Veggie season?
what are you all planting in the veggie garden lately?...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Orange tree questions re fruiting, blooming and harvesting
hi all, we moved to a place with a really old orange...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™