moisture meter

emee(7)July 22, 2014

Do any of you use a moisture meter? I'm not sure I trust mine. I purchased a few new succulents 10 days ago which had been watered when I got them. I have not watered them since. I repotted them & one has already rotted & fell over. Obviously from someone watering too much. Some of the others leaves are looking yellow.

All the plants I've lost, appear to have been from overwatering in spite of how dry the soil felt, or the moisture reading at the time of watering. I am getting afraid to water them at all. Is there a fail proof test to know if it's time to water? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nomen_nudum

No meter use here, plants benifit from people researching to know more about a plants growth period growing stage is when they would need more watering and less watering if any when not in growth periods.

This time of the year for my few aloes I can if i wanted to water them daily and use a gallon of water for each of the four inch pots when watering, if hot enough all day long I usually do and will water them in the cooler evening.

Mentioning this because the off coloring you discribed, ( not always) could indicate a soil that doesn't drain as well as it should.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
Roots growing out of echeveria stem
I have a bunch of struggling succulents... In a move,...
fergline
My very first 'Terrarium' and need advice on watering.
So this is my first time doing Terrarium, and i want...
kizasugondo
February blooms (2015)
After so many beautiful photos posted in January -...
rina_
hen and chicks not faring well indoors--- suggestions?
Hi, Even as a child, I usually had hen and chicks outdoors...
iaskedforwater
Help! what's wrong with these succulents
They are with me just only for 2 months. Their leaves...
hm825
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™