Strange leaf problem on meyer lemon

dirtslinger2(6)February 16, 2011

I'm asking this for friends, hopefully I can explain clearly enough.

They have a small meyer in a 2 gallon pot grown as a house plant- south facing with good direct light.

There are a few "old" leaves that look ok, but the issue is all new leaves that sprout immediately fall off while still tiny.

If you simply touch them they drop, while still green.

There are no aphids, spider mites or scale. Not sure what else it could be. They fert'd with high acid fert last summer which didn't help so they decided to lay of fert until required. No flower buds.

I couldn't see anything wrong with their practices. Do you? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

sounds to me like "leaf drop" all though in my experience if it happens all leaves not just the new ones can drop. Tell them to be sure the soil temperature stays above 55 degrees so that the roots stay active enough to help cool the leaves. The sun is quite powerful through glass and can really heat up the leaf surface. There is some debate on what the minimum temperature is to keep the roots at, but that is what I have researched and works for me.

mike

Bookmark   February 16, 2011 at 10:33AM
dirtslinger2(6)

It definitely has not affected old leaves like the leaf drop you menioned- it's just like the tiny unrolling leaf buds are dropping.

Bookmark   February 16, 2011 at 10:45PM
don_in_ct

It sounds like it may possibly be a response to a lack of water. If the soil goes dry when news shoots are starting, I have seen my citrus trees shed these growing shoots. If the plant is in a dry environment (for example, if it is in a centrally heated house, especially forced hot air), the effect of any lack of soil moisture will be magnified.

Bookmark   February 18, 2011 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
My Meyer Lemon Tree is not doing well... can I save it?
Hi All, I am new to this forum and joined because I...
braun928
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™