Is It Safe to Spray Foliage Pro on the Fruit?

gadgetvictim(11)February 8, 2014

Hi,
This is my first post on this forum. I live in Hawaii on the island of Oahu (Zone 11, or Sunset Zone H2). I started growing citrus trees about a year ago. Like many of you, started with two trees, and now I�m up to about 30+ trees (lemons, limes, mandarins, grapefruits, pommelo), purchased locally and on-line (FWG).

I have citrus growing both in-ground and in-pots. I�ve not had any success with the various fertilizers I�ve been using e.g.; (Vigoro citrus & avocado, Miracle Gro Organic) purchased at the local HD store. So, after reading all the positive comments on this forum about Foliage Pro, I purchased a gallon via eBay ($47 + free shipment). Now, I have several questions for the more experienced users of Foliage Pro:

For foliar application:
The instruction on the package does not provide any info on recommended or optimum/safe to apply frequency (e.g. daily, weekly, monthly)? How often should/can I spray my tress via the recommended foliar dosage per the FP label.

There is no information or caution on spraying FP on the fruits. How long before harvesting can the tree be sprayed? Are there any spraying precautions wrt the fruit that should be taken?

For in-soil application:
I understand most of the people on this forum us FP for their potted citrus plants. I�m applying FP to both my potted and in-ground citrus trees. So, if anyone else is using FP for in-ground plants, I would really like to hear from you

Mahalo, Gadget
FYI: It may be too early to tell for sure, but trees seems to have perked with brighter foliage and new growths.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Aloha! My grandpa lives in Ka'a'awa :-)

I would not use Foliage Pro for in-ground plants, personally. I'd save it for the containers, and get a good granular. If you're in a rainy part of the island, you might want to apply lighter doses more frequently throughout the year.

I've never really been a fan of foliar spraying, and I don't know what the safety issues might be. I'm sure you could email Dyna Gro and they'll give you all the details.

Josh

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 2:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gadgetvictim(11)

Josh,
Thanks, I'll contact dyna gro on that question.

Kaaawa is located on the opposite side of the Koolau mountain range from me. As the crow flies, its about 10 miles. By car, its about 30 miles. Kaaawa is situated on the beautiful/rainy windward side of the island. I'm located on the leeward side of the island on a hill overlooking Pearl Harbor, and can see the Arizona Memorial from my house.
Mahalo Nui Loa,
Barry

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 7:17PM
More Discussions
My lemon tree needs help!
Hello, I recently got a new house with some citrus...
Roderick Agius
Should Moro Blood Orange be ripe yet in Zone 9b Southern CA?
We purchased 2 Moro Blood Oranges last spring and they...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Omari satsuma in the desert
I'm debating on getting an Owari Satsuma (OS) but live...
zwoydziak9bsunset13
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™