Where to purchase clematis

DigginlifeJanuary 9, 2013

Can anyone suggest a good place to order clematis from?..besides lowes or home depot... Any other tips when ordering . Thanks

This post was edited by Digginlife on Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 14:11

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Julia NY(6)

Here is a link to a discussion here on GW as to where folks have purchased from. Lots of choices.

I've only purchased from Bluestone Perennials (6 clematis) and Silver Star Vinery (1). Bluestone Perennials replaced a couple of ones that didn't make it here so they stand by their guarantee. Silver Star Vinery sends large, well rooted vine. Some people believe the shipping is high and prices are high but your getting a larger rooted vine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mail Order List Updated - Garden Web Clematis forum

Bookmark   January 10, 2013 at 6:20PM
pmermakov(Zone 6 (OH))

I highly recommend Brushwood Nursery. I have ordered from them for several years and have always been very pleased with the clematis I received. They come in quart sized pots, fully rooted, well labeled and healthy. I also found their prices to be better than average and the shipping costs very reasonable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushwood Nursery

Bookmark   January 11, 2013 at 10:51AM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I also would recommend Brushwood for all the reasons mentioned above.

Two other places I have ordered from and been pleased with the quality:
Silver Star Vinery on the west coast http://www.silverstarvinery.com. The plants are healthy and typically a bit larger than those from Brushwood, though after a couple of years you wouldn't know the difference.

and Hummingbird Farm in Maine. http://hummingbirdfarm.net/clematis.htm
Their plants are about the size of Brushwood's, but a bit more expensive. I like their plants, but they put their list up later than most other online nurseries. You can get on their mailing list to be informed when they are open for orders. They have sometimes had varieties that I haven't found elsewhere.

Another nursery with a good reputation, but which I haven't ordered from is Joy Creek. http://www.joycreek.com They have a wide selection, but tend to be the most pricey.

Each nursery has a different selection of plants, so if there is a particular color, bloom season or growth habit you want, having several sources is nice.

Bookmark   January 11, 2013 at 3:55PM
Digginlife

Wow thank everyone for all the great input!!! Im checking out the sites now.I cant believe all the choices .Thanks again

Bookmark   January 12, 2013 at 8:22AM
alameda/zone 8

I went on a clematis buying kick last fall. Ordered from Brushwood, Joy Creek, Garden Crossings and Bluestone. Joy Creek plants were in big pots and were huge. Bluestone's were the smallest but very healthy. Brushwood and Garden Crossings were extremely healthy plants that are growing well. I have all in pots and will plant out in spring. You cant go wrong ordering from any of these vendors.

Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 1:02AM
Julia NY(6)

One thing I wanted to mention is sign-up, if you can, on a vendors website for their newsletters/promotions or whatever they like to call it. Many times and I know this recently was the case with Brushwood, they runs specials which if you are not watching a site, you may miss some deals.

Just a thought...

Julia

Bookmark   January 16, 2013 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Clematis in SW Tennessee
Just moved here from Northern IL where I had lots and...
ryseryse_2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™