Grafting saguaros.

Microthrix(9)July 31, 2012

Im so surprised that this never occured to me ... can you graft saguaros to make them grow faster? Can you do that to have a desert giant in 25 years instead of 50 ? Has anyone ever grafted a saguaro before? What should the saguaro be grafted onto?

Thanks in advance!

- zeck

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

Zeck,

I think there's something about too-dissimilar vascular rings between the C. g. scion and any possible stock that prevents this - otherwise it (likely) would have been done a long time ago by graftmeisters such as Cactus Jordi and Miles Anderson.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 7:08AM
hijole(9 Sunny California)

Micro, Now I'm really surprised YOU even asked this question, but you did. So now I have to chime in with this, ( just kidding though.)

Here is one that has been grafted several times over to cut the time to a record 15 years. I was going to add another 5 ft. But I couldn't get a bigger ladder.

Member, just kidding Kiddo.

Greg

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 7:40PM
cactusjordi(z10 CA)

Pachycereus pringlei is growing much faster than Carnegiea gigantea. So one could try use P. pringlei as understock. I never thought about this possibility before.

Jordi

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 11:13PM
Ethnogardener(8b)

Hi microthrix it definitely can be done. I have wondered the same thing.So on another forum site I asked someone posted a pic of their's grafted even to a pereopskis! I must say I was pretty shocked haha. Whether the degraft went successful idk but I have def seen it done.

Check it out

Here is a link that might be useful: Saguaro graft pic

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 2:22PM
bgp_123

Microthrix,
I ran the same question through my mind recently. My thought was to take 4-5 24' saguaros and graft them (One on top of the other) together and then possibly grafting arms onto it.Don't know how I would support the arms though!

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 7:23PM
Ethnogardener(8b)

haha that would be sick. Arms would be so hard to graft unless you had plenty 2/4's and made a frame to support them.

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 12:13AM
More Discussions
My very first 'Terrarium' and need advice on watering.
So this is my first time doing Terrarium, and i want...
kizasugondo
Mother of Thousands (Kalanchoe)- can I prune it?
I have two of these in pots. The main problem is that...
elizabethk1
A Nice Welcome Today
A little surprise in the mail today...
kaktuskris
Echeveria leaves falling off and stem turning dark?
Hello, I'm new on this website and could use some help...
adelalis
What kind of succulent are you? Please help ID
Thx all for the help. I have a few clippings of the...
chiquitanerd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™