Removing soil from rootbound jade?

Pallas_AthenaJuly 14, 2014

Hi there.

Trying to revive this suffering jade by repotting it into a gritty mix recipe. However, it's so rootbound that I don't know how to remove all the soil without breaking anything. Do you have any tips? I'd really like not to kill it. Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Laura Robichaud

I use a garden hose on jet. It takes all that nasty soil off with very little root loss.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 2:16PM
Pallas_Athena

Do you think this is clean enough?

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 2:36PM
Pallas_Athena

Okay, I cleaned a bit more off of it by spraying it, loosening the dirt with a metal chopstick, and, lastly, dunking it in in the toilet 'til no more dirt came off. I've potted it in the mix, placed it in the sun, and am hoping for the best!

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 3:06PM
cactusmcharris

It shouldn't be wet when you repot it, and it shouldn't be watered for several days after repotting.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 3:10PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

In this case, the new mix will wick away any of that excess moisture, so I think it'll be okay. I would move the plant out of the sun for the new 2 - 3 days while it recuperates, then give the mix a very thorough watering and return it to a sunny location (preferably not too hot at first). I actually like my gritty mix to be moistened prior to potting, especially in the Summer.

Those trunks had a nice root-mass.

Josh

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:32PM
Joe1980(5)

You'll want to water it after repotting, which is one of the many joys of gritty mix. Letting roots dry out is not good for any plant, and will only increase the recovery time. I've tried letting jades go dry for a couple of days after a repot and they got wilted up and took longer to recover than ones I've watered right away.

Also, that jade was not all that rootbound at all. I just get a bucket of water, and tease out ALL of the old soil with my finger while dunking the rootball. You can be quite brutal to the roots, and it'll survive. You've done good for that jade by putting it in gritty mix.

Joe

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
Has anyone used Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate as an fungicide?
Wondering if anyone has previous experience with using...
addicted2plants
Little Cyathia and Hopes of Bigger Things...
Cyathia on my little Euphorbia today, and little buds...
kaktuskris
Repotted Euphorbia
I think it is an Euphorbia horrida, but not sure about...
hablu
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
Need help pruning and beautifying my Jade plant please
Hi, I have a jade plant that doesn't look too good....
holy_peanuts
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™