MY weed from H....!

carrie630(z7bNC)April 11, 2008

I don't know the name of this weed - but I can describe it pretty well:

It grows from runners, medium colored green rosette, the size of a silver dollar...(sort of, not really, but sort of looks like a small coreopsis, but flatter). It's driving me NUTS! i can't get rid of the stuff because it is spreading by runners and tangles into everything.

I didn't have it the year before, last year I let it go because I thought it was a reseed but unfortunately, it wasn't and by that time, it had spread like crazy.

Thanks for any input

Carrie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

Carrie, do a search on 'dollar weed' . I did and there are many people, mostly in the deeper South , that agree it's the weed from H...!

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 9:56PM
carrie630(z7bNC)

Hi dotti - thanks for attempting to identify it - but it's NOT dollarweed - I am going to take a picture and post it on this thread. This is the most annoying weed I've ever had and hopefully it won't spread into my other borders.

Carrie (Uh oh it just rained last night - I bet there's more.......) :(

Bookmark   April 12, 2008 at 8:28AM
carrie630(z7bNC)

Here it is!! This is one of a few hundred I have left - it spreads by runners (this one is big, probably I missed it last year - the babies obviously are smaller)

Carrie

Bookmark   April 13, 2008 at 10:30PM
dellare(7NC)

I have that one too Carrie. Not in all my beds but at least four of them. I pull them but I have not been able to even make a dent in their population. Adele

Bookmark   April 13, 2008 at 10:36PM
karen__w(z7 Durham, NC)

That's Rumex acetosella (sheep's sorrel). I got rid of most of it out in the side garden (just kept pulling) but still have it in the front. I hate stilt grass so much that I don't have a lot of strong emotion left for this one, though.

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 8:05AM
tamelask(z8a NC)

sorrel likes really acidic soil, so it's supposed to help to add some lime. I have it in 2 of my beds heavily, but i just pull it once or twice a year and don't sweat the rest. It's edible- look up sorrel recipes- so you could use it that way if you wanted. Sour lemony taste. It spreads by runners and seed.

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 9:17AM
countrygirl_sc

Well, I'm glad to know what that is. I transplanted a rose two years ago and it had two tiny little sprigs of this. so I didn't worry much about it. Last year it spread through the whole garden! I spent more time pulling it than anything else.

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 3:31PM
carrie630(z7bNC)

spreads by seeds too - Well, those horrible weeds are EVEN going to get a chance to flower and seed - They are going to be history (I hope). All out war this weekend to get rid of this annoying weed. (It's through my daylilys, groundcover, etc. etc.)

Carrie

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 10:41PM
More Discussions
School flower project....mulch over clay?
My daughter has been looking forward to sowing seeds...
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
Symposium in Greensboro, NC
Guilford Horticultural Society has announced its 30th...
ncrescue
Agave victoria-reginae hardiness
Hi, Has anyone successfully grown these outside in...
seedmoney
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™