can I save this string of pearls?

radcrastJuly 22, 2014

HI all, I bought this Senecio rowleyanus about 8 weeks ago and have it hanging in a basket in front of my apartment. it gets lots of bright, but indirect light. I let it get completely dry between waterings since I have a habit of rotting my succulents to death - I've watered it twice since getting it. One of the strands has leaves that are turning black and the non-hanging vine that is on top of the plant has withered away to nearly nothing and turned brown. (see photo) What is going on with this plant? Can I save it?

Thanks so much for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jaredhello

It looks like you have extremely water retentive soil. Depending on how badly rotted the plant it's possible it can't be saved;

What i'd recommend you try to do is swap out the dirt with cactus mix with 50/50 perlite thrown in. It'll keep water a LOT less than the soil you have right now and it'll help prevent your plants from rotting away.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 3:35PM
jaynine

Does the pot have drainage holes in the bottom?

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 3:40PM
radcrast

Got it. I have cactus mix in there now but I will add some perlite to try and get it draining better.

The pot doesn't have drainage holes. I can drill some in when I switch out the soil.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 6:20PM
More Discussions
What to do with this?
Hi everyone we had this superb plant in our garden...
garazy
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
Kalanchoes outdoors in southern California
the following are some photos of some of the less common...
palmbob
Sometimes rot ends well
Here are some pics of a jade that started as a chunk...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Agave - ID & Care
I bought this little plant yesterday - Feb 26. I'd...
bobv2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™