Experience growing Artichoke in zone 7?

tripsleb(7)April 4, 2009

Anyone have experience growing Artichoke in zone 7? I am in Rowan County (Salisbury area). Clay soil, but I have lasagna beds, compost bins, and rainbarrels...

I have seeded indoors and it's the Emerald variety - I noticed it states 180-360 days to harvest on the packet. Please let me know any tips, etc! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

I've grown 'Green Globe' and 'Imperial Star' varieties I believe. I don't have any this year, last summer's heat did in the last of my plants.

I have never been able to get it to flower the first year like the packets and magazine articles claim it will. I've done every trick in the book and still I had to wait for the second or third spring to get buds.

I also have never gotten large grocery-store sized 'chokes, they were only about the size of a lemon. I believe they taste the same but are more tender when you pick them and cook them right away, they seem to have less fiber to them and more of them is eatable.

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 9:06AM
tamelask(z8a NC)

and they are huge, gorgeous plants!

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 10:26AM
tripsleb(7)

Thanks trianglejohn and tamelask! I have done some companion planting research and am thinking of planting them in front of my mammoth sunflowers. Will post pics later this summer (if they can take the heat!)

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 8:48PM
tamelask(z8a NC)

They'll look their best in May/June and go downhill from there in my experience. They don't like the heat. That would be a stunning combo if you can keep the artichokes going long enough.

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 9:57AM
archon218

Can you post about your sunflower artichoke experience?

Bookmark   January 14, 2011 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
Copper Canyon Daisy
Does anyone know where i can find seed or plants of...
Ralph Whisnant
Agapanthus in the Triad Area?
Has anyone had any success growing Agapanthus in the...
GreenfingerGene
Errosion on active creek
I need help saving the large trees on the banks of...
kellyinnc
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
aaaaaaaa
Fruitmania GS 2015
If you will be in the Charleston SC area on January...
cactusrequiem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™