Stanglebrand maybe, maybe not???

karyn1(7a)September 12, 2010

I'm not sure if this B. arborea has Stanglebrand or not. It's similar but not really. I've had Stanglebrand in the past and it usually starts off as a very small lesion and rapidly progresses but seems to affect the upper layers of tissue. This is starting as a large lesion, almost like a tree canker. It's affecting the older woody stems and they are splitting open. I've previously posted pics of Stanglebrand on the forum but can't find them so I linked to BGI's pics. You can see the difference but whatever it is, even if not SB, it's not good. Thankfully this isn't anywhere near my other brugs. I'm not going to dispose of it right off, at least not until I'm positive of the Dx.

Here is a link that might be useful: BGI stanglebrand pics

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommysmommy(Colorado)

Ooh, that doesn't look good. I guess it's a virus of some type? Hope it hasn't spread to any others, good luck!

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 9:27AM
karyn1(7a)

I still have no idea what it is. It's not near any brugs. The only thing close to it is a theobroma cacao tree and a few impatiens and they look fine. I think I'll post on the pest and disease forum and see if I can get an answer there.

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 10:05AM
green_thumb_guy(Z5 Ont)

Karyn,

do you mind if I post the pic in BGI and see what others there think?

:)

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 10:48AM
karyn1(7a)

Please do. I would really appreciate that. Please let me know what you hear. Thanks

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 11:47AM
ruth_ann(Z5 Ont.Can.)

Never having seen SB in person I am not much help Karyn. It almost looks like it all started with the upper wound, doesn't it?
What does the foliage above this look like? Usually SB affects the channels that supply the tissue above them so that the foliage looks malnourished or is dying.

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 3:10PM
karyn1(7a)

The foliage looks fine but with all the damage I don't see how that is. The tissue is destroyed almost down to the pith. There's a couple stems that are unaffected that I was considering cutting and rooting but I'd like to find out what the problem is first.

Bookmark   September 14, 2010 at 8:40AM
chena(z8 Texas)

I had one that did that I went ahead and trashed it... It was Lemon Twist.... But IMHO I don't think it is SB...

Kylie

Bookmark   September 14, 2010 at 12:55PM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I don't think it is stranglebrand. I have seen it in person on a friend's plants and I don't think it is it. She had gotten some nursery plants and they had various stages of the lesions. We went back to that nursery and sure enough, there were more just like hers!
For one SB is usually a lesion with a dark ring around it. If left to heal on its own then it starts to get a
dry-rotted appearance to it.

To me, yours looks more like some type of split in the trunk that stayed wet or got some type of fungal thing going on but not SB. One time one of mine got a split and I ended up digging a big caterpillar out of it lol. I let it heal and it began to look like your photo of the knot looking brug.
~SJN

Bookmark   September 15, 2010 at 11:29AM
More Discussions
Brug cuttings:
Good morning all, would like to know if anyone has...
plantmasterm
brugs for trade
I have these Brugs. Looking to trade. Infinity Phanomenal Tiara Rosa...
maile_2010
New to brugs
I've not grown brugs before but have admired them for...
Vikki
Here's to a great World Series tonight
Looking forward to a good World Series . Guess I'm...
BeachLorax
Question for Rosie1949. Re overwintering brugs in water
I posted this on another thread but since it may not...
mnwsgal 4 MN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™