Huge damage at the LA County Arboretum

onederwDecember 4, 2011

The Arboretum is closed until further notice. At least half of its trees are damaged or uprooted from the windstorm. Cleanup could take months. Very, very sad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arboretum closed because of windstorm damage

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

Oh, what terrible news. Makes me even more aware how lucky we were here.

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 7:44AM
onederw

I have yet to hear anyone at either the city or county level declare an emergency that would make the region eligible for assistance, either in terms of manpower or finance. What's the hang-up?

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 11:14AM
alexcortez(10b)

Sad. Both Fairchild and Fruit and Spice were heavily damaged in the storms and freezes in earlier years but mostly recovered. Hopefully the Arboretum will too.

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 11:03PM
calistoga_al

Strybing arboretum had a similar event about 30 years ago. Although a list of trees had been made up ahead of the storm predicting which trees would fall in such a case, the old weak trees stood, while younger healthy trees failed. No park has the budget or workforce to make removals and repairs in a timely fashion, and 10 years (atleast) was required, but the park was only closed long enough for dangers to be eliminated. It was interesting to tour the damage. Al

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 11:18PM
chicagardens

The windstorm was something else. My mom was without power for a full week. Just terrible

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 10:38AM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Oh how sad! Pasadena area seemed to get the brunt of the winds.

Bookmark   December 10, 2011 at 10:24AM
socal23(USDA10/Sunset23)

Unfortunately rare/unusual events cause the most damage. Most areas that are susceptible to Santa Ana winds experience a yearly weeding out of susceptible trees/limbs, but all bets are off when the strong winds come from an unexpected quarter. Trees that were resistant to strong winds from the northeast (or, more to the point are relatively sheltered from northeast wind events) were vulnerable to winds from due north or northwest. I live in an area that is normally very susceptible to strong Santa Ana winds and it was quite eerie hearing about the damage in Pasadena, Glendale and parts of the San Fernando Valley, while here on the Oxnard plain we were totally becalmed.

Ryan

Bookmark   December 11, 2011 at 11:00AM
More Discussions
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
Ground cover for erosion control?
I am looking to plant a hillside with something that...
Sabine Halfhill
Potatoes from Van Bloem Gardens
Does anyone know what potatoes are in the Van Bloem...
pbsjones
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™