Help find an Obelisk for Clematis

krismaria31(4)January 22, 2012

I been searching high and low for an Obelisk/Pyramid Trellis for my Clematis. Does anyone know or point me in the right direction where I could purchase one? I would prefer the obelisk to be 6 to 8 feet tall. I do not have a preference on material type. I just need something before spring gets here, which is right around the corner. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irish_rose_grower(z7 LI NY)

I just saw an old post yesterday where i asked someone, maybe Jeanne? where she got her obelesk and how tall it was. She said it was from Gardeners supply and it was 7' tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardeners supply

Bookmark   January 22, 2012 at 10:28PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Check your local nurseries, though they can be quite expensive there.

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 11:07AM
gardengal48

Have you tried searching online for plans to build wooden obelisks/tuteurs? They are pretty darn easy to construct out of relatively inexpensive lumber pieces with only basic tools required. Sounds like a reasonable winter project to me :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: obelisks and tuteurs

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 5:00PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

When I googled

garden obelisk 6' 7' 8'

a bunch of options cropped up.

If you don't need something that formal and you are a bit handy, it isn't difficult to make metal obelisks with a rustic flavor (they end up with a rusted finish.) I use 4 3/8" diameter steel rods in the range of 8 - 10 ft. so that there is plenty of leg to push into the ground, cutting to length with a hack saw. (You could also use rebar, which I think is half inch diameter and you could probably get cut to length at the hardware or big box store.) The rod tops can be fastened together with a hose clamp (or I often use the wire that is used for fastening concrete reinforcing), and some type of an ornament can be put over that to hide it if you'd like. Plant the rods into the ground to form the obelisk shape, and then I usually spiral 1 or 2 wires evenly around the structure from the bottom up to the top. You could also fasten wire mesh panels onto the obelisk sides for the clematis to cling to.

There are also plans on the web for do-it-yourself copper obelisks made from basic plumbing supplies, though I think that the current price of copper has made those much more expensive. Electrical conduit is a less expensive alternative that could be painted or left silver colored.

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 6:12PM
rosefolly

My DH has made a number of copper obelisks and trellises for my roses, but they might not be fine enough for clematis to wind around. I use much thinner structures for clematis.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 1:53PM
More Discussions
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Clematis in SW Tennessee
Just moved here from Northern IL where I had lots and...
ryseryse_2004
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Is this clematis dead legs?
This is a corallary to my earlier message showing the...
marko_212
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™