New growth on Beaucarnea recurvata has me worried

albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)July 25, 2012

I've three, probably, Beaucarnea recurvata, with new growth a much lighter green than I recall over the past 3-6 years. They have been in a sun room with much light for a few years. Largely ignored, watered irregularly, that sort of thing.

I'm not noticing anything other than new growth appears different, unfamiliar. I really like the plants and wonder if I should not/do something different.

I will try and find my camera and that may take a while. In the meantime ... any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

Thoughts, I've had a few
But not so many to mention

Watering, I've had some qualms
About overwatering the ponytail palms

I could go on this for some time, but wanted to spare you the grief - if anything, I'm guessing, you're not watering it enough during this most prime growth period for your B. r. plants.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 2:32PM
whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio

Jeff,
If your so inclined, I'd like to listen to your musings and theories about watering the pony tail palm.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 9:36PM
cactusmcharris

Rob,

Year-around, just less so in winter (unless you've got a greenhouse). Back in the day, any self-respecting San-Diego-based-succulentist had one PIG'd that was the size of a small elephant's foot, never mind the ones that are many feet across/around at Norma's house or at a botanical garden. If it's warm and sunny, they're going to grow, IME and IMO. I'd be curious to hear about your question from others, too.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 12:38AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I was looking a pictures over at Google images. Many of those in pots have a caudex that is large relative to the diameter of the pot and often the pot is shallow relative to diameter. Is this ideal? Does it really matter?

How to instructions elsewhere say to repot in the spring. Is this ideal? Does it really matter?

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 2:37PM
cactusmcharris

Albert,

The root systems one these aren't that deep, so yes, and spring, when their rate of growth is increased* by higher temps and more sun, is the ideal season to repot, although these can be repotted as well on December 21st, too - you'd just want to be more careful about watering then.

OTOH, it may not really matter, but aesthetically, it's pleasing to me to have it in a shallow pot.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 2:46PM
whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio

Mine were in smaller pots, but I wanted to maximize they're growth potential. I potted all three into a large trough.

With the temps in the high 80's and up, I've been watering every 2-3 days. The growth has been very good. I've wondered how the watering has effected the size of the caudex. Once they put some size on, they will go into they're own pots.

Albert,
As far as potting goes, these guys are tough, and I don't think there's a wrong time to repot them.

Rob

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 5:54PM
More Discussions
Jade fused trunk
Hi all, been reading for a while, first time poster. My...
andymac85
Watering & fertilizer regimine??
For the last year (one summer & one winter) I have...
halocline
Do you have crazy sedums
So do you i have some sedums in a pot golden sedum...
spikef35
Jades - Too many for 1 pot?
I am going to repot my jade as soon as I get all the...
Gigi z 7B, SC, USA
March blooms (2015)
March is here...what succulents do you have blooming? Not...
rina_
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™