Posting Garden Pics

safariofthemind(z7b NC)April 27, 2010

Hi

For you younger whipper snappers, question: I haven't built a web site since the days of geocities, now defunct - what do you recommend for casual posting of garden pictures with captions? I like the idea of a blog and have an old account at safariofthemind.blogspot.com . Right now it just has a blurb in Spanglish about my wife's law firm as a place holder. Basically I haven't figured out the tools to use it yet so it is a good point to ask what others use. Some folks have mentioned wordpress.com as a good alternative. Reviews online seem to disagree on which is better. Both seem to need links to photobucket or flickr to work with picture collections if I read their instructions correctly.

Anyone care to share what's their recommendation? If need be I have a rented account at Pagematic.com for our office website that I can "park" another domain at but then I'd have to deal with raw html and something like Frontpage and I'd rather not go back to that as I have little time to maintain a site, deal with hackers, and may have to pay for bandwidth overages, etc.

Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coorscat(6 and 9)

GoDaddy Go!
Seriously, with GoDaddy you can get a webpage in a box with their website tonite package. It doesn't cost much and is easy to keep up with.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 2:50PM
safariofthemind(z7b NC)

Do some of the folks in the forum have pages I can look at? I would hate to reinvent the wheel and happy to be a boring middle age man following the right crowd [tongue in cheek].

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 7:25PM
mischief

If you are only interested in posting pictures getting your own hosting account is really overkill. There are a number of image hosting services that won't cost you a penny.

http://imageshack.us
http://tinypic.com
http://xs.to

Also please don't support godaddy.com. They're just bad business.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 12:45AM
coorscat(6 and 9)

This should probably be over in the discussions...but here goes anyway. If you want a blog, the photo sites wont' support your blog. DH and I run several internet based businesses and we depend on our websites for our living. GoDaddy has been the most cost-effective and the most reliable. Redundant backups means no data lost when a server goes down. With just a blog and some web pages sporting your pics, that might not be critical for you, but when it is your business it does matter. I could tell you horror stores about Network Solutions...but that is off topic :o) BTW, let us know when you get up and running, I just love looking at garden pics!

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 2:18PM
safariofthemind(z7b NC)

I am an infrequent poster of pictures, preferring to spend my limited outdoor time in the garden.

The site I had on geocities was a static web page with pictures of the construction of the scree beds and plantings. This new page would probably follow a similar line, having maybe 50 to 100 pictures per year.

For casual posting I much prefer the informal nature of gardenweb and its simple forum format. That's why I hesitate to pay for GoDaddy. I already had photobucket and blospot accounts which are free but I did not want to use them just because I am ignorant of other, better free alternatives. RJ

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 4:23PM
aezarien(7b)

For what you are wanting to do, I wouldn't pay for anything either. There are too many free sites out there that are suitable for your needs.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 9:24PM
esh_ga

I use photobucket as a place to store pictures. You can arrange them into albums and they have an "organize" feature so that if you want to change the way they are arranged, you can. I have one album that is just a virtual tour of the yard, in the same order as if you were walking around it.

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 6:42AM
More Discussions
I'm back after a long hiatus, and wow!
Hi everyone, I haven't been on GardenWeb for a while,...
minuet_7a
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
School flower project....mulch over clay?
My daughter has been looking forward to sowing seeds...
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b
Dwarf Tomatoes - Anyone Growing Them?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
Need plant id
Hi friends, Could somebody I'd this tree. The fruit...
vidnand
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™