Clematis Identification and help

treetoronto3January 6, 2014

Hello, can you please help me identify this clematis. Bought it many years ago(10-12 yrs), with a tag that said "assorted clematis" It grows massive. Cover a 12 ft wide by 6 ft tall area of my fence. If the fence was taller, it would keep growing. I would like to purchase more of them. I would also like to know if you think I could transplant it early spring, while still dormant.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

It's a C. texensis hybrid, perhaps Duchess of Albany. It doesn't look quite dark enough to be Princess Diana.

If you go to the link below, the fifth category is a drop-down menu for Group. Choose texensis and it will give you a list of ones in this group having a general shape like yours. Click on the names and you will get photos and other info about each kind. Keep in mind that some colors are difficult to photograph accurately, but this may give you some other possibilities. Not all types will be available commercially in the US.

Alternatively, clematis are fairly easy to reproduce with layering, and that would give you clones of your current plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis on the Web search page

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 8:50AM
opheliathornvt zone 5

I think it's one of the texensis varieties like Duchess of Albany or Princess Diana, and although I've never moved one of them, I have moved enough other clems that I'm pretty sure you'll be OK.

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 8:57AM
treetoronto3

THank! Looking forward to layer it and distribute among my garden!

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 12:41PM
More Discussions
Fragrant Oberon
I've become obsessed with the Fragrant Oberon clem,...
lisakaye551
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™