Deer and clematis

kitkat_oregon(7)January 25, 2009

Please can anyone tell me if deer eat clematis. I realise that no plant is really deer proof, and that they are browsers, but I was wondering if any particular type of clemmie is less appealing to them than another. Thanks for any input. Kat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

Yes, they sure do. Robin in VA who posts here infrequently was telling me about how she has had to put up deer fencing to keep the deer away from her plants. As to the second part of your question, I am unsure if there are specific varieties that they tend to prefer over others. Perhaps others who have deer problems can chime in on that one.

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 4:07AM
alina_1

In my garden deer are not very interested in Clematis. Probably, because they have more delicious treats - Lilies, Hostas, etc. On the other hand, they like to vary their menu. I will not be surprised if they will destroy my Clematis garden one day. After all, they ate my Iris plants (which are considered to be very deer resistant).

Bookmark   January 28, 2009 at 2:49PM
suibhan

Here in my garden in W.Montana, the deer don't bother the clematis much....just the rare occasional nibble. I do keep most of my prize ones inside a fenced garden.

Bookmark   January 30, 2009 at 10:01AM
kitkat_oregon(7)

Thanks for all the input. The clems will be planted inside a fenced garden but they will be growing up the garden fence so one side will be accessible to the deer. Perhaps there will be enough other material on the outer side to keep them entertained. Thanks again. Kat

Bookmark   January 30, 2009 at 7:35PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

The good news is that pruning helps Clematis so they likely won't do any lasting harm.

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 1:35PM
More Discussions
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Is this clematis dead legs?
This is a corallary to my earlier message showing the...
marko_212
Is Sweet Autumn Clematis Appropriate?
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™