Ice, 32 degrees F this morning

californianDecember 31, 2010

Frost on the cars, ice on the top of some pans of water I had out to catch rainwater, the thermometer read exactly 32.0 degrees F this morning here in north OC. Frost on the grass and leaves of many plants too. Will have to see if it killed any non frost resistant plants or my avocado or citrus trees. But they should survive if this is as bad as it gets. Would probably take a real hard freeze like 27 degrees for several hours to kill them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drsue

Wow! Im in central OC. It was pretty cold, but i didn't see any sighs of ice.

Bookmark   December 31, 2010 at 7:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
norcal916(USDA 9 / Sunset 14)

Don't worry about the citrus trees. Would have to take many hours of much lower temps to outright kill them. I have several citrus( Eureka Lemon, Meyer Lemon, Bearrs Lime, Valencia and Washington Oranges) growing in my yard here in Sacramento where we go down to 32 or a bit lower periodically each winter and the trees and fruit are fine. The fruits usually start to get damaged at several hours under 27 or 28 , but it would take quite a few hours down in the teens to kill the tree. If you're talking about a small young newly planted tree then that would be more sensitive of course.

Bookmark   January 2, 2011 at 12:26AM
More Discussions
Ground cover for erosion control?
I am looking to plant a hillside with something that...
Sabine Halfhill
Mango trees in SoCal?
Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree...
wetfeet101b
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™