Bloom time for loropetalum

fallsbagger(7B)May 30, 2014

Hi all,

I have 3 large loropetalum in the front of my house that I need to prune back a bit. I know they are supposed to bloom in the spring, but mine are not showing any signs of blooming yet. For that matter, I haven't seen any blooming in and around town. I don't want to prune them until after they have bloomed. I have 2 questions. When do yours bloom and can an unseasonably cold winter have an negative impact on the flower buds. I live in the Raleigh. Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindanc(8a)

I used to live in Cary and planted 3 of them in the sun and 3 of them in the shade. It's a vary versitile plant. As I remember, it's been ten years, they bloom in the late spring early summer depending on the weather. I never cut them back so I don't know that answer. I do know that once they are established you can ignore them and they grow. Here in the east where it is blazing hot I watered them well in the first year, they didn't bloom, and now they are huge and bloom. Good luck.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 6:08PM
lindanc(8a)

I used to live in Cary and planted 3 of them in the sun and 3 of them in the shade. It's a vary versitile plant. As I remember, it's been ten years, they bloom in the late spring early summer depending on the weather. I never cut them back so I don't know that answer. I do know that once they are established you can ignore them and they grow. Here in the east where it is blazing hot I watered them in the first year, they didn't bloom, and now they are huge. Good luck.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 6:20PM
ticksmom419(z7 NC)

I'm also in Raleigh and I realize that mine didn't bloom, either. It's several years old and I'm certain it blooms before now. Wonder what's up with that?

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 9:14AM
fallsbagger(7B)

Thanks for your responses! I just discovered a page on JC Raulston's website that lists the month when all their plants bloom. What a great find! This list indicates that loropetalum bloom in March and April. I'm puzzled why they didn't bloom this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: JC Raulston bloom list

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
Rain barrels and soaker hoses
Here I am a aqain and gonna pester y'all one more time....
jimtnc
Copper Canyon Daisy
Does anyone know where i can find seed or plants of...
Ralph Whisnant
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
Hello all, long time no speak
It's Nannerbelle. I already had a ID on Houzz so this...
rottie59
Indoor planting?
Hi, Did anyone start indoor vegetable seeds sowing?...
aaaaaaaa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™