Help with placement of three clematis

rosefollyFebruary 19, 2012

As mentioned on another thread, I have ordered Miss Bateman and Duchess of Edinburgh for a planned bed of May/June white flowers, along with Huldane which is to go elsewhere in the garden. I intend to plant MB and DoE on trellises against the east side of a cottage. Both spots will get morning and very early afternoon sun. One will go into bright shade much earlier than the other, around 1 or 2 PM, due to surrounding trees. The other stays sunny a couple of hours longer. I am trying to decide which one should be placed in the sunnier spot, and which would best tolerate less than full day sun..

If one is more shade tolerant that the other, then that one will get the shadier spot. If both are equally shade tolerant, I plan to place the more vigorous of the two plants in the shadier spot. If both are alike in both vigor and light requirements, then it probably does not matter.

My plan is to plant Huldane elsewhere (in full sun) because it looks to me from what I read as though it blooms a bit later than the other two. If, however, it is the most shade tolerant of the three, I can easily alter that plan. It would not be at all a bad thing to have the bloom in this bed continue on a bit longer.

Rosefolly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantloverkat zone 9a north Houston(zone 9a)

I have only grown Huldine for less than a year, so I can't really share much about my experience with her. I do not grow the other two.

The following information comes from Clematis on the Web:

Duchess of Edinburgh (1.5 - 3.5 meters height), blooms May, June and September, grows in sun or semi-shade, pruning 2

Miss Bateman (2 - 2.5 meters height), blooms May to September, grows in any aspect, pruning type 2

Huldine (2.5 - 6 meters height), blooms July - October (November), grow in full sun, pruning type 3

This should help with your placement decision, but hopefully someone who has experience with these clematis will be able to give you more information.

The International Clematis Society has a "Clematis of the Month" article on Huldine on their website.

In addition, many people recommend hard pruning of all clematis for the first couple of years to help establish a stronger root system.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article on Huldine at the International Clematis Society's website

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 10:15AM
More Discussions
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Sweet Summer rabbit fodder.
I planted a sweet summer love last year and in the...
ked1985
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Sponsored Products
Aubusson Night Rug 3' 6" Round - BLACK
$189.00 | Horchow
Joy Carpets Feathers & Fur Area Rug - 428-B-ROSE
$129.99 | Hayneedle
Vistosi | Moris PP 30 Flush Mount Ceiling Light
$221.00 | YLighting
Glen Flora Runner 2'6" x 8' - WHEAT
$229.00 | Horchow
Darlee Elisabeth Swivel Bar Stool - DL707-7/101
$324.99 | Hayneedle