Milkweeds for Monach Butterflies

borderbarbDecember 9, 2010

You know that old saying "it is the greatest mistake to do nothing because you can only do a little. DO WHAT YOU CAN"

A recent article about reduced population of Monarch butterflies gave a website, which has a list of milkweed family plants we might plant in our gardens. I wonder if youth groups might also plant seeds in empty fields/open areas. My Cub Scouts did this with CA Poppies years ago, and kids still talk about the pleasure of seeing results in roadside planting area. Anyway ... just a 'pay it foreward' idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milkweed profiles

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
borderbarb

YIKES! Just noticed the typo in heading .... Monarch ... hmm, does this mean I'm not perfect?

Bookmark   December 9, 2010 at 2:02PM
dicot

My asclepais seed so freely I really should be better about collecting & distributing them before they all float away. I think I had about 15 plants this last year, never saw a monarch cat, but some years they get covered & munched.

Bookmark   December 9, 2010 at 6:27PM
scarlett2001

My neighbor did the Monarch station last year. Now we have so many beautiful butterflies floating around the neighborhood.

Bookmark   December 10, 2010 at 1:57AM
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24

I planted Asclepias curassavica for the first time this year, and had more than a dozen caterpillars. We just had a butterfly hatch out today.

Bookmark   December 10, 2010 at 4:30PM
napapen(ca 15)

I purposely left seed on my milkweed plants to be taken by the wind and hopefully start plants over the land around me. Mostly vineyard and backyards. I found plants growing in several places in my yard and doing well. I have 5-6 varieties in my landscape - no Monarchs tho.

Penny

Bookmark   December 10, 2010 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
Need help with privacy issues - Sunset zone 18
I have an odd side yard that is on a busy street. ...
mariandailey
What's the deal with milkweed
When is a good time to locate seeds or starts for milkweed?...
sf_rhino
trees wont grow
i bought these crepe myrtle trees about 4 years ago.i...
Carlos Hernandez
Has anyone tried gooseberries and currants?
I love fruiting plants so much but being in the Bay...
tog5632
Privacy Trees?
Good afternoon, I'm hoping to find a recommendation...
sirwoodland
Sponsored Products
Metro Milkweed Bent Arm Chair
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™