Something wrong with my Avocado?

SeanPez(9)December 13, 2011

Hello All,

I have planted this HAAS avocado tree in the ground since October. I have not seen any new growth, and the leaves are continually turning brown at the tips. I dont know what to do!! I thought it was lonely so i bought a Fuerte yesterday to keep it company. Also the fuerte has a piece of the stem damaged or something. Is it okay?

Haas:

Fuerte:

Here are some pictures.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

-Sean

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Looks like significant stem damage on the last picture. Return it and get another.

Do not expect them to do any growing until it warms up in spring. Baby avocado trees won't grow at this time of year (unless you are in southern Mexico). They grow when it is warm. Mulch the area around the base with a thick (4-6") mulch, keeping the area immediately around the base of the trunk clear. The root systems are sensitive and like protection.

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 4:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

The necrosis at the tips or edges of the leaves is usually caused by the roots taking up a chemical from the soil the plant can not use. Sometimes Boron or another chemical natural to your soil, or some from your irrigation water, or even something you may have added, trying to improve the soil. Al

Bookmark   December 15, 2011 at 11:40AM
More Discussions
Where to find a 'zone' map
I used to have a map to tell me what zone im in, but...
jkcali
Veggie season?
what are you all planting in the veggie garden lately?...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
Mystery plants!
Can anyone identify these plants? The seeds I was...
barbiejpete
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™