Growing Citrus Rootstock - Seed or Clone

johninatorFebruary 24, 2014

Im thinking of growing some citrus rootstocks. From my research i found three most popular varieties (c-35, carizo, troyer). Can someone share a quick summary of each qualities?

I noticed a sucker below the graft of my gold nugget from durling nursery labeled as std. I am planning to air layer that rootstock sucker or use it as cuttings and grow them from there. Is this a c-35?

I also have several dwarf citrus trees (orange, mandarin ,lemon/lime, grapefruit hybrids) from la verne nursery purchased in the last 6months. Does anyone know what rootstock they use?

Lastly, Can i grow rootstock from cuttings? Or are rootstock normally grown from seed. Advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks,
John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

I don't know the scientific or definitive answer; but I grow all my rootstock from seed, as do most certified nurseries. There must be a reason; I only know that it works for me and is the cheapest and most reliable method.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 6:47PM
johninator

John, where can I obtain rootstock seeds from? What rootstocks do you recommend for mandarins and grapefruit hybrids.

Regards,
John

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 8:18PM
tantanman(z9Tx)

When possible always grow rootstock from seed. These will give the best root system. That is especially helpful when a drought or wind storm can damage your trees.

Most popular, may not be best. If you are grafting and growing your own trees, match the rootstock to your particular soil. Ask locally what works best from real people with growing experience. Not some nursery wanting to sell what they have in stock.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 9:57AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

John, contact Citrus Treesource. They sell rootstock seedlings as well as seeds I bellieve. Mandarins are fine on C35. Same with grapefruit hybrids. Most of my trees are on C35 here in S. Calif, which is a very good rootstock for our area. John has most of his trees on Macrophylla. Okay for sour citrus, excellent for John's location in the world, but not the best choice for sweet citrus.

Patty S.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 10:09AM
johninator

Thanks Patty, I looked into citrus tree source and it looks like they only sell in bulk for rootstock seedlings (min 1000pcs) or seeds (c-35 = ~4200 seeds). Im only experimenting on my backyard garden to learn and enjoy citrus growing. I only need 10 to 20 rootstocks to do my experiments. Great company though. Their supercitrus product looks interesting.

Does anyone have c-35 and carizo seeds or seedlings in smaller quantities i could buy from? Thanks.

Regards,
John

This post was edited by johninator on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 9:16

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 8:17PM
pecanman

Consider Flying Dragon understock. It is a semi dwarfing root stock and does not make a large tree.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 4:46PM
More Discussions
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Is this abnormal calamondin behavior?
The leaves on my potted calamondin tree are quite droopy,...
michael_ames
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™